New UEFN optimize metahuman in ue5.4?

Hi, with the announcement of the arrival of metahumans to UEFN they also announced a very optimized version that weight less than 100 mb.

I have try with 5.4 preview, that uses a new version of the metahuman but it does with as before almost 1gb in the lowest quality.

Is there any plan to bring that Fortnite metahuman to all unreal users??

2 Likes

I’ve been chasing a way to make MetaHumans “game-ready” for a while now.
Just tested a few things in UEFN 5.4 & UE 5.4 preview, comparing the new Metahumans and the old:

-The UEFN version is listed at 5.4
-My local MetaHuman in the UE 5.4pre is version (2.0.3) and not labeled as legacy
-My local MetaHuman in the UEFN 5.4 version is version (2.0.3-29956716) and labeled legacy
-Clicked link in UEFN and updated my MetaHuman in browser to “UE 5.4”
-My MetaHuman in UEFN is now current and version is (3.0.0-32294560)
-Quixel Bridge will not let me import 3.0 MetaHumans into UE 5.4pre.

-Imported into UE 5.4pre on LOW (2.0.3), my MetaHumans folder is 1.22 GB
-Imported into UEFN 5.4 on LOW (3.0.0), my MetaHumans folder is 135 MB

The LODs available are now organized differently per import quality (Low/Med/High) than the previous 2.0 MetaHumans. Nothing new here, just a new organization of previous LODs.

BUT - it has the same exact skeleton. Complete with 342 bones.

The performance cost of using 2.0 MetaHumans is due to the ridiculous amount of bones. Even without weighting the fancy corrective bones to any vertices, many have found they still tank performance at all LODs. So even with the discovery of more aggressive LODs, I’m hesitant to call this a win.

On the bright side, there is a new component available called “MetaHuman”. This comes with some potentially promising settings.

component

Maybe this component will allow us to bypass the heavy processing requirement of having hundreds of corrective bones sleeping on the skeleton, despite non-weighted vertices? I’m cautiously optimistic.

I’m going to start testing animations between 2.0, 3.0 and 3.0 with component settings changes to see if animations are more performant. But I can’t find access to the console or a single profiling tool inside of UEFN, so… idk when/if I will have concrete answers for this one.

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing all that research!! now I’m even more interested for those Fortnite metahumans in 5.4

1 Like

Thanks for your testing, documenting and sharing it.

1 Like

update with more details in new post