NEW(3/22/2024) UE5.5+ feedback: Please Invest In Actual PERFORMANCE Innovations Beyond Frame Smearing For Actual GAMES.

Epic is forcing people to use Nanite if developers want to use other features such as VSM’s.

Well no, it’s the same thing again, you’re not forced to use VSMs nor Nanite, but if you want to use VSM yes you need Nanite, and you can enable Nanite on lower poly meshes without any performance issues (in my experience).

I already explained why UE has to fixed because it affects several titles, not just mine.

I follow a lot of UE5 games and yes they are terribly optimized, the upscaler is crap but that’s not coming from UE5. Unreal Engine is not just a game-engine, and its also not a simple game engine, recent games feel rushed becaused not a lot of UE5 games are out yet (except indie horror games surprisingly), so my guess is that AAA studios are completely skipping optimization just to release games fast before UE5 becomes a standard. I think we’ll see better games in the future after the first rush, but it’s defintelty not an issue on the UE side (just my opinion)

2# They are also lying about Nanite’s performance

That one is interesting, Epic never lied about the Nanite perfs, they said it’s a new feature to allow near infinite amount of polygons rendered on screen optimized by the system and also reduce draw calls, and they’re right, Nanite is incredible and allows super high quality models which removes the need for a normal map (which in my experience is more expansive than Nanite). Of course it’s going to be less performant than traditional LODs, no matter the number of triangles since the system is the same, and honestly for 1ms I won’t complain…

It’s called not optimizing meshes for affordable GPUs

Again, affordable GPUs can easily handle Lumen and Nanite with reasonable performance, I had a 3060 laptop and was able to run UE5 with no issues (except the massive tech demos). And also next-gen hardware is affordable if you look at Nvidia’s 3060 or 4060, or AMD which is even cheaper. But again UE5 is a next-gen engine and studios that choose to use UE5 probably don’t care about an old 1080. Gamers will have to switch to a newer GPU at some point, I believe there’s a slow transition in hardware happening if you look at Steam’s database.

Not everyone wants mushy games.

And not everyone wants ugly 300 poly models and baked lighting, it’s time to evolve. There’s always going to be two sides fighting but the truth is that UE5 is meant for the future, and their current formula suits a lot of developers, so if a minority doesn’t like it the engine will move on without them.

1 Like