New to Unreal Engine, need advice

Hi All,

I am a computer science student (scientific computing stream). I have developed a really strong passion for game development. I have developed a couple of games previously using JavaScript and HTML5. A transistion from JavaScript to C++ game dev is like attempting to cross over the ocean. There are a lot of new terms to learn when it comes to developing games. Nevertheless, I am willing to learn all about it. This is my final year. I am currently registered for Discrete math: combinatorics (LORD PLEASE SAVE ME!!!), Numerical Methods, advanced programming (Qt Framework) and computer graphics (one of my favourites - learning OpenGL).

I am learning game development as I am learning to use OpenGL.

My real question is do I need any expertise when it comes to graphic design. I have no experience of designing the actual graphics. If I use UE, would I be bombarded by Graphic Designer questions?
I do have knowledge of rendering terminologies from my computer graphics course.
Any response would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I’m not sure what the question is. What are you trying to do? Do you want to create a game from scratch, on your own, alone? If that’s the case, then you’ll need to make everything yourself. And that includes your game’s graphics.

You could go with simple “programmer art”. Or choose a graphics style that doesn’t require a lot of complicated and detailed artwork. Like the developers of Antichamber did. If you don’t want to do that, learning a 3D modeling program, like Maya or Blender is not that hard. But it takes a lot of time and a lot of iterations to get the result you’re looking for.

You mean graphics programmin not graphics design, do you? If yes, no, it is not needed, you won’t get bombarded.

Hi There,

I am not working alone. We are a group of 4. But unfortunately, we do not have a graphic designer. I have tried using blender, but I could not find enough tutorials and kept being put of when people say that blender is meant for professionals. Do you perhaps know of any good tutorials for using blender?

We do not plan on creating games from scratch. We decided to work on our own mods and some really simple games to get started.
We are also thinking about using images from the web (with copyright policies in mind).

:stuck_out_tongue: There are plenty of tutorials for blender on youtube, you just have to type in “blender tutorial” and you will find some -> I would recommend you to take a look at this series: ?

CGCookie also has a good intro series on Blender:

://cgcookie/blender/cgc-courses/blender-basics-introduction-for-beginners/