New To UE4. Brand new Razer Blade 15, Keeps crashing

Hi,

I am very new to the community. I am an architect and content creator and have been dying to dive into unreal for years now. I have finally purchased a brand new Razer Blade 15 advanced model with an RTX 2080 Max Q. Considering I dabbled in UE4 years ago on an old mac, I figured surely this laptop would be able to handle UE4 right?

So far, every time I go into unreal it has crashed one time or another. At first, I thought it was because the model I was importing from rhino was too big or too complex. However, I decided to scale down and make a super simple mesh for a basic scene to just try this program out. Sadly enough, even this simple mesh (the profile of a street) crashes.

I have reported the bug each time it crashed but have not heard back from Epic yet. If somebody could please help me out, or direct me towards help I would greatly appreciate it. I have done a lot of research, but at the end of the day, I am not a computer expert so I am not sure if I am missing something here.

I am happy to provide specs if people think it is a hardware issue?

ps, all my drivers have been updated, so that was not the issue.

Thank you so much in advance. I hope to get this all figured out and share my creations with the community in the future.

best,
B

The laptop comes with a dedicated GPU but it also has an integrated low power GPU from Intel, by default it will try and choose which one to use for the program you’re running but it does a bad job at doing it. To get the best performance you need to go into the Nvidia Control Panel and go into 3D Settings and there’s a section there that has to do with assigning a GPU to specific programs, you need to set it to use the Nvidia GPU as the global setting to be used for everything rather than allowing it to try and automatically choose. You also must set it to be the default for everything rather than trying to set it to use the Nvidia GPU for UE4 since it can still have performance issues unless it’s the global default.
Doing that will also have an impact on your battery life since it’s using a more powerful GPU for everything.

Also, there’s a setting for power on the laptop that will try to optimize battery but can affect your performance, you’d need to set that to favor performance rather than battery life.

1 Like