New to ARK modding. A few questions.

Hey, my name is Andy and I am an experienced modder in other games, but not in ARK. I am currently loading the ARK Dev Kit from Epic Games Launcher.

I have a few question about the implementation-hows of certain types of mods.

1. How do I keep my mods as clean and stackable as possible (guide relinks?)

2. How do I modify existing items or dinos without changing the core file in order to mantain stackability with other item/dino modifiying mods.
    This question is in regard of the Homing Pigeon mod in which a “Leg Ring” slot is added to the flyable dinos which changes their unmounted behaviour. The Author has specifically changed the implementation of not changing the core dino files, but instead make use of “tags” or “hooks” that are links to the core files as he told somewhere. Maybe child copies?

3. Is it possible to change the building process (ie. structure’s silhouette is up and player wants to build) of vanilla structures like adding a new keybinding that toggles forced snapping on/off without changing the core structure files? (Somewhat related to question 2.)

Hello Andy,

1. Stackable mods vs. Dirty Mods
  2. you can modify existing items or creatures without changing the core files by making children or copies of the original.
    I think that the Homing Pigeons requires the flyer to have a “costume” slot for the leg ring to work. Costumes can be added to creatures without making children or copies of the creatures.
  3. Do you mean something like this?

Hello, I’m the author of Homing Pigeon mod, and yes dreyn74 is right in that the LegRing is a child of PrimalItemCostume a specific type of item that can be equipped to the costume slot of a flyer, restricted by the Custom Tag Name of the dino class (which is how I integrate with custom dinos added by other mods). The core of the mod though comes from a custom Buff that gets added to the flyer when the leg ring costume is equipped, and destroyed when the leg ring costume is unequipped. The buff is the main entry point for the core logic of the mod.