New Sounds Mute Old Sounds Automatically

Hi Everyone,

I have been trying to get this to work for several days now. I purchased a footstep sounds asset from the store. It provides a component that I attach to my player character which generates footstep sounds automatically as my character runs around. All of that works fine but when I try to play a new sound from my BP it kills my footstep sounds until the new sound is done playing.

Specifically, I am wanting to be able to play a melee weapon swish sound when I click my left mouse button to attack. I’m using two different Metasounds to randomize the footstep and swish sounds. I have tried using Spawn Sound Attached on different components of my character to play the swish sounds thinking that maybe they are trying to use the same audio component that the footsteps sounds are using, thus the footsteps are getting overwritten (I’m assuming that’s how it works). I have also tried manually creating an audio component on my character and then using the Play node to play the weapon sounds on it. It did not make a difference. I then tried getting a reference to my weapon from my character and attaching the sound to it instead of my character thinking that maybe the extra separation would allow both sounds to play. No change. It seems that it doesn’t matter where I am attaching this sound to, it will still stop my footsteps sounds.

I have created two separate concurrencies, one for footsteps and one for weapon sounds. I have also created two separate sound classes for them and placed them as children under my master sound class. I have the corresponding concurrency and class set in each Metasound under the Source section as well as within the Wav files themselves.

I have tried bumping up the Max Channels and Max Concurrent Streams in my Project Settings just to see if that would help and it did not.

I’m not sure if it makes a difference as I’m still trying to learn about UE audio in general but I’ve not yet set up any Submixes. I just have a single Default Base Sound Mix that I created and assigned in my Project Settings.

I’m not sure where to go from here. I’m just wanting a simple way to play two different sound effects at the same time without killing the first one off when the second one plays. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Please ignore this. For some reason I can’t edit the OP anymore but I found out that this is actually an issue specific to the footstep system I was using.

1 Like