New project landscape material not showing

Hi Peeps. I’m failing at an early stage. I make a landscape, make a material, drag the material onto the landscape, the landscape does not change.
I just see the default grey squares texture, even though my landscape apparently has the new material in its “Landscape Material” entry point. It’s base colour is a lurid purple to allow me to make no mistake about future errors, then a few layers are blended in as shown on the left there. The material is just a simple cascade of colours, as shown in the second image.
For the love of God, someone please explain why the simplest first step is not working :slight_smile:

Hello @DMarkwick, welcome to the community!

You’re totally on the right path but I noticed you’re missing some Layer Info Objects there.

A layer info object is an asset that contains information about a particular Landscape layer. Every Landscape layer must have a layer info object assigned to it, or else it cannot be painted. You can create layer info objects from the Landscape panel.

Please, check this documentation page to find all the informations you need: Paint Mode | Unreal Engine 4.27 Documentation (just search for “Layer Info Objects”).

Let me know if you have any further question!

1 Like

Thanks Klian, even if I’m late back :slight_smile:

I did manage to get some layer functionality going (“somehow”), but it was far from intuitive. It seems that any tutorial on the subject I watch is done in UE4, and there’s enough difference that things like this just don’t work the same. Thanks for the reply.

1 Like

Hey @DMarkwick, I’m really glad you keep progressing with your project!

I know, some aspects of unreal might be frustrating at times, but don’t give up! It can give you so much joy once you understand how it works.
And as you pointed out, it’s an on-going project, many things has changed over the years and the community is growing faster and faster!
I may advice you to start using an older version if you struggle finding up to date tutorials with UE5. I can assure you can learn 90% of UE5 by using UE4.

For example, you might want to use Displacement Maps for your terrain, which is currently unsupported on UE5 and you’ll need to follow a much newer process to achieve the same result.

I hope this will help you a little bit, let me know if you have any doubt or question.
Cheers!

This topic has been moved from International to World Creation.

When posting, please review the categories to ensure your topic is posted in the most relevant space. Hopefully, this category change will help you or other devs to get an answer.

Happy developing :slight_smile:

1 Like