Download

New PC. An optimum configuration?

Hello guys,

I’m planning in buying a new pc. I’m learning to use 3ds Max, Unreal 4 and related programs (like Photoshop or ZBrush). Someone has suggested me the following settings:

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 WindForce 3X OC 4GB DDR5
Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3Ghz
MSI X99A SLI PLUS USB 3.1
Samsung 850 Evo SSD Series 250GB SATA3
16 gb RAM

Do you think this is an optimum configuration?

Regards!

I don’t recommend you a 970, as its 0.5 gb ram need to be optimized by drivers on specific games to not have stuttering.

At some point nvidia will also drop their support for their maxwell cards like they did for kepler.

At this point a 380x/390 are imo the best buys in that price range.

Get an additional hard disk for backups.

I’d go for 24GB RAM, as well as a better GPU if you can afford it.

Thank you all.

Hello, Jamendxman3. I doubt I can afford to spend more money right now. Anyway, What GPU would you recommend?

I recommend the gigabyte one, gigabytes are usually the most overclocked, and I have yet to see my gigabyte 780 ti be unstable (even with additional 150 overclock)

Looks good. You’d probably want a 500GB 3.5" HDD for storage in addition to the SSD as a system drive. As for the 970 4GB with Windforce I believe you’ll be able to overclock it to reach almost 980 performance. The 3.5GB VRAM thing is probably way overblown and unless I am mistaken Nvidia would have addressed any serious issues in the latest drivers etc.

As for the CPU 6 core unlocked haswell with X99, that’s nice… you should be able to overclock it with a decent Noctua cooler (don’t use the stock cooler if possible). 6 cores will help with Lightmass… a lot.

For a larger budget despite the somewhat lackluster advances in Skylake (according to some), a 980Ti 6GB with fast Skylake and DDR4 should be awesome for enthusiast to entry-pro level. Although 6-core Skylakes are still notoriously expensive (and nonexistent LOL).