New Indie Development Studio Looking for Core Team (Artists, Programers, Writers, etc..)

White Hair Development Studios

We are a new indie game development studio. We are currently seeking to hire the core development team for an exciting new project. 

Currently we are seeking ALL lead positions for the pre-production stage. Lead character/ environment/ UX/ VFX/ Sound FX/ Concept artists, along with lead Gameplay/ systems programmers, and lead writing/ social media positions. All team members will have a voice in all major project decisions.

The project is a story driven action adventure game, set in a world best described as medieval steampunk "sorta". The game centers around a sky ship crew and their misadventures. The story itself is a satirical commentary focusing on many of the personal and global issues facing our brave band of miscreants. Further details on the story, gameplay, or monetization aspects will be provided to team members upon being offered a position.    

The Project is currently ready for the pre-production stage of development. The next step is construction of a minimum viable product/prototype, at which point substantial financing will be pursued. We will be using primarily UE4, Quixel Mega Scans, and Blender for the project as they are all extremely powerful, open-source, and free to use. Compensation for the project will be a profit share, based on overall contribution (time/effort/productivity). The timetable for completion is largely TBD, and almost purely speculative although the goal is to have the MVP completed within the next two-four months and the initial release to be the end of next year.    

Qualifications

Personal Hardware that meets minimum performance standards for next gen console development (HD monitor, speakers, desktop/ laptop/ tablet, etc…)

Experience in some level of game development is a plus
Experience with Unreal Engine 4 (Blue-print, C++) is a plus (Programmers Must be proficient with C++)
Experience with Blender (node editor, Python) is a plus
Long term commitment/ dedication to finish what you start
Most importantly: A sincere passion for making video games, a desire to deliver the best product possible, the drive to seize the opportunity of a life time and see it through!

As a fledgling indie studio with no budget, we do not expect the majority of applicants to have 15yrs in AAA games, nor does more time automatically mean better. We Welcome all applicants and are willing to work with team members to grow their skills. All we ask is that you are honest about your abilities, and only undertake something you are confident in your ability to handle.

To apply please email us at Bigsmoke27.mw@gmail.com

Matthew Watson
Indie Game Developer

Bumping the post.
We’ve had a lot of good responses and a few new people on board. We are still looking for more great people with experience in the core disciplines. Art (3d modeling, character artists, animation, environment artists, UX artists, concept artists) Technical (systems programmers, gameplay programmers, multiplayer programmers) and literary/admin (narrative writers, level/game designers, project managers, Social Media/Community managers).

As this is an indie project with no funding “YET!!”, this a royalty or profit share gig. Ideally each person on the team will handle more then one role and keep the responses coming.

Matthew Watson
Indie Game Developer

Bumping again.
I’m happy to announce that we’ve had 3 new additions to the team. A 3D modeler, and 2 gameplay programmers. We still have several positions available on this very exciting and unique project. If you have an area of expertise and a passion for making quality games that standout from the crowd, don’t hesitate to reach out.

Matthew Watson
Indie Game Developer

Bumping again
We’re currently up to 7 people on the team from all around the world. We are still in need of Artists, Writers, and a community manager, as well as various programming positions still available for those with experience using (C++, python, HLSL, or Blueprint).

**Also the Stated Steampunk “sorta” theme. Means it’s an industrial/ low tech feel but not Victorian with over the top goggles, gears, and smokestacks all over the place. More practical and subdued style is the goal.

Matthew Watson
Indie Game Developer

Doing another bump like it’ 1985.
We’re continuing to grow, but still have positions available for this unique and exciting project. If you have a passion for video games and a will to produce a product you’ll be proud of, we ask that you don’t hesitate in contacting us to join our ever growing team.

Matthew Watson
Indie Game Developer

Don’t get me wrong, but claiming to be a “Studio”, and then having no budget, no team and only a gmail adress =not even a domain/website, screams “Scam or naive beginner” to me and many other people.
If you want to attract people to work for free for you (yes, that is youre offering of “royalty” 99%), then you should put in at least minimum effort and provide the infos from the recruitment temple and show that you actually can lead a team, and know what is required to make that game. Right now youre only asking people to work enthusiastically for you for no reason.

Our Team is 8 man strong with 2 more unconfirmed prospects. The point of this project is to build a viable prototype and obtain substantial funding and build the full project. As for the royalties, it’s only working for free if you never see it through and sell it. I’m not in the habit of quitting halfway or doing anything of a quality less then excellent. Anyone who is interested in hearing more about the project feel free to email me or DM me on discord at MW_WHDS#0995. Before joining the team, everyone WILL be given a pitch doc to decide if this is something they can get passionate about. The enthusiasm I require is for the project. I want to make this game because I want to play it, the potential for very significant profits is just icing…

I thank you for the input Jakatak, and if you would like more information to base your opinions on, so that they might hold more value, Please feel free to get in touch to discuss project.

Matthew Watson
Indie Game Developer
White Hair Game Studios

To give you some good advice and to improve youre chances of finding people: You’re claims without backup mean nothing, on the contrary:

• If you really have a 8 man strong team, you could show samples of what they have produced so far, otherwise you might be a nice chatting discord group who actually develops/works on nothing.

• If you only do excellent quality as you claim, then proof it by showing what you actually have done or can do. Whats youre track record in terms of game making, how many released titles do you have under youre belt? Have you made anything even meeting the marketplace quality standards? Anything?

Otherwise we just see 7 posts on this forum from you, and that you joined recently, which does not hint as you being a qualified & experienced leader for a team, rather a beginner.

So proof to all the people here that youre not just hot air, and deliver facts if you can. Otherwise people have to assume you can’t.

To Rebut this devolving conversation on my job offer thread…

#1 Again Anyone who is interested in learning anything before offering an hater-aid opinion, both my personal e-mail and discord tag are in the thread. Feel free to contact me at anytime and I’ll get back to you asap.

#2 As this is a royalty project if you produce nothing then you get nothing. So if I end up chatting with nice people who don’t physically produce, then more money for me.

#3 I and the rest of the current members of the “Nice chatting group” all have previous works on various sites/ git servers. Most actually work in the industry. Anyone who is interested enough to contact me can get information and links.

#4 Before commenting on someone else’s newness please yourself not be newer…

Lastly assuming that I have nothing to share about the project rather then that I’d prefer not to share proprietary information about a Unique concept on an open game engine forum is foolish.

I’ve been developing several game ideas and concepts for years that are simply outside the scope of a solo developer, which is the purpose of gathering a team. Not a single person on the planet understands and is proficient with EVERYTHING about game development. To do something beyond mobile shovel-ware in a reasonable timeframe requires a cooperative effort. I’ve chosen what I feel is the most feasible to complete and will be the best to monetize on multiple levels. This is all getting a bit deep for a job posting which is why I will say one final time. For Further Information CONTACT ME directly and I will be more then happy to answer any and all questions about the project, team, requirements and anything else.

Matthew Watson
Indie Game Developer

Whether your project is legitimate or not or something in-between - This is a terrible excuse.

I’ll say the same thing, If you have questions contact me. Otherwise, this is a job posting not a portfolio of the teams past work and dev log. Not to mention I’ve been contacted by a couple third party development companies about making my game for me, so I know other bigger companies look at these postings. Aspects of our concept are unique and I’d rather a larger company not steal it and make it faster. We currently have 8 people two more unconfirmed and new interest all the time. If you wish to know more please feel free to contact me directly.

Matthew Watson
Indie Game Developer

Bumping the post.

I am happy to announce we have completely filled out or sound team with 3 sound engineers who are composing our custom music. We also currently have a character artist, two general 3D artists, a 2D artist, two gameplay programmers and myself (lead designer, writer, project manager, and general artist/gameplay programmer).

Unfortunately I have also had to let 3 members of the team go for non-participation. This is a part-time royalty project, so members are not expected to commit more then 10-15 hours a week. That said, we do want to complete the project, so anyone who isn’t active in the chat or producing anything for more than two weeks without communicating a reason will be removed from the team.

We are very close to having our first fully operational sky ship completed, as well as a couple musical scores, the background surface landscape, and work on the core gameplay systems is underway.

We are still seeking artists as this is an art heavy project, experienced C++/blueprint programmers (unique movement/damage systems) , and we are still seeking someone to take over project and community management so that I can focus more on the narrative and design, then the logistics and communicating with everyone all the time.

We are still less then two months old as a studio and still growing. If you have any questions or are interested in joining the team please don’t hesitate to email or DM me on discord. I’ll be happy to answer any questions you have about the project.

Matthew Watson
Indie Game Developer