"Nestling" projects

Now, this may appear perhaps as a strange question, though I figured it would be more intuitive to make changes to the engine code if needed be by setting an installation of the engine aside for the purpose nestling my one of my projects into it.

Does this idea hold up to scrutiny? Also, if it does, what is the best way make a move? I’ve been puzzling around with it, trying to become familiar with the UnrealBuildTool to begin with, although I have so far gotten either UTH errors or the engine trying to load plugins twice. I have therefore considering to abandon the idea, because the advantages may not outweigh the challenges to be overcome.

However, I would really like the opinions of someone who has experience with handling engine code.

Ok, I have playing around with it a bit, so for general information, here I am presenting some of my findings:

Subject matters overlaps with this one here. (I’m using 4.21)
.UE4Games.uprojectdirs seems rather crucial if you are going to use the standard batch/sh files. I have now placed my project’s folder (which I have since called Game) inside the main engine folder, containing the folder “Engine” and the aforementioned file “.UE4Games.uprojectdirs” I suppose the main advantage is that the whole folders structure looks a now a bit more managable, so it is easy to travel back and forth from the engine files and your project’s files.

Also, if you want to the binaries of the built engines to come into your project’s folders, set BuildEnvironment to TargetBuildEnvironment.Unique. Very useful for distributing tools to team members.