Nested levels/maps -- is it possible?

I want to make a VR game where the main level is sorta like an “immersive ui”, and in the center of the main level is a “window” so to speak that’s a view of a whole open world. I would do this by making a separate level for the game world, and nest it into the main level as a windowed view. But I don’t know if this is possible.
Is it?

Hey @ChrisNonyMinus

would this be just a level select screen? Do you want to interact with it? Should there be anything moving?

I am asking because of the expected performance. E.g. you could fake a real world with a cubemap and a small sphere which would only be visible through the window.

Edit: Interior cubemapping could be a solution

1 Like

you can load and load multiple levels if you want, look into level streaming. On the marketplace there is a free unreal example project with many examples on what you can do in the engine and how to set them up.

there is one about level streaming also

Yes, I would want to interact with it and there would be moving parts.
Nothing too crazy though, of course; performance is important for VR.

You have 3 options.

1. Use a render target to capture and display something onto a texture.
  2. Stream the level in manually.
  3. Create a level that OnLoad, streams in the other level.

Option 1 would obviously still require you to load the level, it’s just that the position of it can literally be anywhere, since you just use a scene-capture to capture it and then utilize the texture elsewhere. For VR, this may actually cost you more. It depends on what effects you want to apply to the render if you should go that way or not.

1 Like