Neither can install or uninstall Launcher

Hi,
I am trying to reinstall Launcher after i previously unistalled it. unstall led to an error, right at end. So I deleted everything by hand, but Launcher still appears under list of installed stuff in Windows (using WIndows 10 btw.) Now, I get same error when I try to do a fresh install of launcher. I also cant choose a different installation destination in installer. I attached installer log.

Hey Brainshack,

First, check this post and make sure you’ve followed recommendations there:

Then check our Launcher Troubleshooting Guide, specifically section titled, “I am unable to install Launcher for Windows”:

If you’re still having trouble, then please and attach your dxdiag and any of logs requested in that section of guide. Thanks!

Interesting. Windows 10 is not yet supported and we have run limited tests on that platform. Still, things should work and it sounds like first time around it had installed properly but uninstall had an issue.

At moment, Windows still thinks you have launcher installed even though you went through and deleted various launcher related folders. That is just an artifact of way Windows Installer stores things. For this reason, every time you run a new launcher installer you are not able to set destination path because Windows tells installer that it should perform an upgrade(not a clean install) since it thinks there is already an older version installed.

easiest way to get you un-stuck is to get uninstall to succeed from ControlPanel->Add-Remove Programs (Or whatever Windows 10 has). There are a lot of ways to try and do that, many of which are outlined here:

I have tried several of tips listed there. Also uninstalling through control panel. Wether I try to install or uninstall, it always runs into same issue and then just reverts everything it did befor. Since I am running a german Windows, error message probably wont help you much but translated it would be something in lines of " Account allready exists"

DxDiag attached

Sorry that first link did not help in your case. error message you are seeing is helpful however. Using it, I was able to do some searches and found that this is most likely not an issue with our installer but rather an issue that impacts .msi installs in general. consensus is to try to use Microsoft’s Fixit utility to fix problem: Link to Microsoft Fixit

Misc Threads for reference:

Yeah I found this myself. Problem being that there is no Version for Windows 10 yet. :frowning:

Since Windows 10 is not officially released yet I suspect you’ll run into a number of things that don’t support it fully. If Microsoft Fixit utility does not run on Windows 10 then you might have some luck with a manual registry editing approach as described in comments of last link I sent: iTunes Uninstall Link. In your case you would probably search registry for EpicGamesLauncher. This approach is complicated because you would have to cross reference and discover many cryptically named registry entries from info you find. I discussed this in answer to this thread but your registry values might not be same so I wouldn’t be able to help you beyond this point since I’m not able to test on Windows 10 at moment:

Your last link did trick for me. Even though I wasnt able to find all of registry keys, it seems like i got enough to get installer working again. Thanks alot!

win 7 too

Microsoft Fixit supports Windows 7 and can usually fix issues preventing programs from installing/uninstalling.

yes i just fix it with this one thks ^^