Need suggestions for new hardware aimed at rendering

I need some suggestions for new hardware aimed at rendering as my desktop starts to get abit old.
What do I need to consider for the best rendering speed and performance? What experiences do you guys have with your current hardware?
I do mostly outdoor simulations and some minor inndoors environment. I also switch between Maya and Blender for modeling and composing.
Price is no problem as I have a system for moneysaving. I am by no means an hardware expert, so I hope for some advices (No hardware wars)

My current desktop:

Case: HAF932
GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 680 DirectCU II OC 2GB
CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K
RAM: Corsair Dominator DHX DDR3 8GB
Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme B3

Are you trying to build a render machine or something you also want to work on? For example, with a render machine you could get a CPU that has an integrated GPU so you wouldn’t need a separate graphics card.

That didnt make much sense. I do outdoor simulations with lots of foliage and water. So having a powerful computer is obviously necessary :slight_smile:

Allright, I had a look around today and came up with this list:

Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400S (SSD mounts and PSU cover)
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VIII Extreme (1151)
CPU: Dont know yet
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080
PSU:Evga SuperNova 1300w modular
RAM: HyperX Fury DDR4 2133Ghz 16GB
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
CPU cooler: Fractal Design Kelvin S36
Just for fun: Akasa Vegas LED strips white

Total cost: 14.928 NOK (Free shipping)
Figured out the save up time: Will only take 22 weeks with my plan.

I wouldn’t buy a 1080 yet unless you want to go into hardcore VR development.

You can do just fine with a GTX970 until the new chipsets go down in price. I’d also get a large HDD over the SSD. 500GB isn’t really enough space for a dev machine, so I’d prioritise storage over performance.

Im not doing VR at all :slight_smile: (Must be the only one) In this build Im looking for the ultimate performance and speed for rendering. Im also going to do a future proof build. Yes, asset files, Photoshop files ect. can be very large sometimes so a HDD would maybe be better.

Will this be enough to run Kite? Added the 980 for price refference, will be replaced with the 8GB 1080.

It’s more than adequate for the Kite demo - and to be honest I suspect you’d never need to go that high spec normally anyway :slight_smile:

Hm, whats the requirements for Kite and the more powerful demos from EPIC? Elemental is running pretty well on my laptop without problems. But the loading stops at 53% on Kite and at %90 on Infilerator.