Need some help with updating(??) some code to a newer version... i think?

So a while back i started a project, and had very little knowledge of programming… I was focusing on the art side of things.

Since that time, i’ve actually started a job as a software engineer in c++, learning on the job. And i figured by revisiting this project i could speed up my learning while working on something “for me”. But after updating from version 4.0 to 4.4 there seems to be a bunch of broken stuff, and i can’t figure out what to do to fix it.

header file here: http://pastie.org/private/bjxrjuwctcbe7suemqadna
cpp file here: http://pastie.org/private/iyv0i6qmj1lzth8m8bbslq

side note: the above code was written by someone else, who’s since disappeared off the face of the earth so i can’t ask them for help.

anyway! lines 12,14,15 - error: incomplete type is not allowed.
and lines 39,58,63,67 - “GameSession->” and “GameState->”: error: pointer to incomplete class type is not allowed.
and lines 93,98 - error: return value does not match function type.

There were other errors that i’ve managed to clean up, but these ones persist. So if anybody could offer some assistance or point me to the appropriate help resources, that would be great! thanks!

Those type errors are coming from the fact that you need to include more of the Engine headers directly. Just figure out where the types in question are defined in the engines headers and include the header for that module.

Awesome, thanks! got most of them now =]

one of the includes was:

#include “GameFramework/PlayerStart.h”

but this has introduced a new problem… in PlayerStart.h there is this line:

class ENGINE_API APlayerStart : public ANavigationObjectBase

ANavigationObjectBase doesn’t actually exist, so there are errors later in the file. i feel like if i try fixing this kind of stuff though, i’ll break more and more things throughout the engine.

#include “Engine/NavigationObjectBase.h”
#include “GameFramework/PlayerStart.h”

:slight_smile:

Though Im not sure if there are not header files that include more from a module and the needed dependend headers.

Rama has an update thread somewhere here on the forum that has better infos then me.

Edit: Same issue on AnswerHub was answered by an engine developer to do the same as I suggest above, include the NavigationObjectBase.h file before PlayerStart.h

thanks Mikand! i think that’s pretty much it now!

No problem. :slight_smile: