Need Help in building me college map,i am new at this

Hello to the Unreal Engine Community
i am trying to build a replica map of my college for tournament…
but i am having problems with the dimensions and starting off…
can someone help me out in building a skeleton of a few buildings and outlines…i really need help…
Please tell .
ill provide all the data i can on the building …

Your new at modeling?

Yes sir…and i am having trouble in making the buildings and rooms…
Will you lend me a hand…?

1. This is not a good idea
  2. This is not a good idea
  3. This is not a good idea

Not only are you saying on the Internet that you’ll release the specifications for your college, which is a major secruity concern but the fact you want to make a “Tournament” game, which sounds like it could be an FPS game based in your college will worry a few people (Considering the amount of school shootings and the “link” they’ve always had between games according to the media). If your college caught wind of you doing this, you could be thrown out if not in even deeper trouble.

I wouldn’t do this but if you’re going to disregard this information; Just block out your map with BSP cubes and then update the cubes with static meshes when you feel more comfortable with 3D modelling.

It’s not that serious, but if you’re just starting out as far as modeling goes it takes a lot of work to learn modeling, so you’d have to get started with some beginner modeling tutorials. Buildings aren’t so bad since they’re box shaped, but it can be a lot of work.

I have Permission from my college about making the map.
they say that the only thing i can collect is pictures i take and nothing else…every thing else i am on my own.
as long as it is only pictures of a college outer building its not a security concern…ill be fine…

What i need help with is to build one building out [only the outer side]
For a pro like you guys they can do that easily…i can then follow the build up and go ahead…

I am working on the tutorials…
just needed a head start so i can show some students that unreal is a good idea to go with …
o body believes me it’s possible.

Direct measurements are out of the question?

You’ll want to take pictures with some known scale object then, so you can estimate sizes.

so i need to measure the building size in some way so i can draw them out…
hmm…
ill try getting a measurement in meters then…

will someone help me draw a building up once i am done with the measurements and a visual …??

The way I work is I get a reference model in my scene of a person and model around that. I use Maya LT and I have a reference model that is the exact height of the blueprint player. When I start something like a building I will first import that model into my scene and then start working on the base shape to get the correct size. I can share that model if you want? I am currently stuck at work (on a Sunday as well, yes it’s soul destroying) but when I’m home I’ll upload the model for you if you want. It has helped me A LOT when starting from scratch to get the scale of things right.

I would love the help…
i’d like to have anything you can give me that will help build a college arena…
,model,static mesh,texture anything…
Thanks in advance for helping out a newbie.

I haven’t kept up on software, but there used to be a program called ImageModeler, which worked really well in a situation where you could take pictures of a building and then mark some points on it, then it would calibrate to figure out where the cameras are positioned in 3D space and from there you could actually model to fit the building exactly. If you have that type of information then all you need is to get one measurement to scale the whole thing.
I think there’s some free stuff around now, Autodesk has some experimental program for that.
Other than that, you can try to get maybe a map of the campus to start from, then just make guesses as to the size of things. In 3D whenever there’s no blueprints to work from artists just make guesses and try to get things to look as close as possible. There’s some things that are standard sizes that you can note, like a standard door is 3ft wide.

Ill try that too…
Thanks.

Anyone else cares to help out ???

The buildings really don’t need to be that precise for demonstration purposes. Maybe just block out the large structures with BSP since you’re under a time crunch.