nDisplay UE5.1.1: Packaged builds are missing config assets (DisplayClusterBlueprints / nDisplayConfigs)

Hi, forum
I’ve been working to revise our projection mapping deployments from pie to packaged builds and have run into something of a snag:

The packaged builds seemingly do not fully incorporate the nDisplay assets, wherein if the nDisplay plugin needs to instantiate a root actor from an asset path at runtime (no root actor in map so it grabs the path from the incoming .ndisplay file to instantiate one), it fails with a LogUObjectGlobals: Warning: Failed to find object ‘Object /path/to/NDC_ConfigName.NDC_ConfigName’ (where the regular pie deployments are able to find the asset just fine).

I’ve verified that the assets are being packaged (added the folder to alwayscook, created a non-pak build to validate contents and observed the assets in the expected location, validated the presence of the NDC_ConfigName package using FindPackage/LoadPackage, and also verified that NDC_ConfigName.NDC_ConfigName_C is available albeit not what the nDisplay plugin is looking for to fuel the runtime instantiation of a root actor).

Has anyone else encountered this? If so, did you find a direct solution or did you need to employ a workaround?

Including the nDisplay file in the map (and creating alternate maps or sub-levels to accommodate different configs) could be a viable option… but I wanted to get to the bottom of our use-case-failure before exploring alternative approaches.

Epic has indicated that this issue is patched in Unreal 5.3. The patch should be easy enough to backport (as a DIY). Changelog at https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealEngine/commit/49f7cde9b5964f2e9110fd29675b97613fc3a48c

May I ask if you have solved this problem? I will send NDC_ DualMonitor is customized as curved LED wall, and running after packaging will result in a black screen.

Yes - or rather, Epic solved it for us! The patch is present in the UE5.3 version of the nDisplay plugin and is very concise/portable (see commit above, IIRC it’s all of 2 lines). I’ve successfully back-ported the change to our in-house 4.27 to finish out a legacy project and will likely apply the same patch to our in-house 5.2 as well.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.