nDisplay dual monitor question

I’m trying to get a setup with one machine and two monitors (one monitor and one projector) to work using nDisplay for the first time but I’m getting stuck at the very first step.

When I launch the nDisplay example project that comes with Unreal Engine with the nDisplay Config called “NDC_DualMonitor” as-is via Switchboard, it launches on the wrong screens.
I followed these steps with NDC_DualMonitor instead of NDC_Basic, which I also replaced in the example scene.

For testing I’m just using my laptop with a second monitor connected via display port. My laptop is the (main) left screen and the second monitor is the right screen in my desktop setup in Windows 10. But it seems nDisplay is getting that configuration wrong somehow?

What is the left screen in NDC_DualMonitor shows up on my (second) right screen and what is the right screen in NDC_DualMonitor doesn’t show up at all. My main screen is just showing my windows desktop.

Where do I define which screen is which for nDisplay? I know this is a very basic question but I can’t seem to figure it out from the documentation.

Or if you could point me to some kind of basic tutorial on the topic I would be very grateful. All I could find was this and it seems a bit out of date and it was very hard for me to follow. :sweat_smile:

I have this issue as well. Did you find a solution?

Of course it’s possible to reorganize your screen in windows but that’s not ideal.

In TouchDesigner you simply select on which monitor your output window should open, other than that, it works the same, from left to right.

Did you check your EDID settings within Nvidia control panel (outside of UE)?

You don’t select which display monitor you output to perse. You setup your monitor arrangement in windows or nvidea control panel. You then setup the comfile by sizing and arranging viewport to match the layout of your windows config. Use the window position to set the position the node renders at with 0 0 for top left corner.

If you have set this up correctly perhaps try setting the window position of the node negative the pixel distance of your main monitor.

Warning: The display positions seem to get adjusted by the Windows 10 font scaling. I’m not sure if there’s a way to prevent that, (I was able to set them all to 100%).

1 Like

These are the steps I took to make it my NDisplay Config to render on my second monitor with one GPU render on the same computer. I hope this helps someone.

Step 1:

• Right Click on your Desktop in empty space

• Move down to “Nvidia Control Panel”.

• Nvidia Control Panel will lunch > Under “Display” settings > click on “Set up multiple displays”

• Make sure the screens are positioned in the layout you want. In my case, my TV is acting as a secondary monitor. I place my primary screen is located X= 0,Y= 0 and my secondary screen is located X= 1920, Y= 0.

• If you move any monitor, make sure to hit apply and confirm it.

Step 2:

• Right Click on your Desktop in empty space.

• Move down to “Display Setting”.

• Scroll down to “Scale and Layout” > make sure “Change the size of your text, apps, other items” option is set 100%

• Thank you to @Dvdbillen , they figure out that this setting may cause an issue with your NDisplay rendering.

Step 3:

Launch your unreal project > go to your NDisplay Config > your NDisplay Editor will open.

Step 4:

• Go to your Cluster Tab.

• Click on Add

• Hover to “Add New Cluster Node” > Left Click

Step 5:

• Name your Node.

• Keep the Preset to “Full HD”

• Host IP Address > Default is “127.0.0.1” Local Network > you can change if needed.

• Make sure that “Full Screen” option is NOT CLICK.

• Go to the Window Setting

• Under Position Setting > X= 1920, Y= 0 > if need adjust for your resolution

• Under Size Setting > W= 1920, Height= 1080 > if need adjust for your resolution.

If you already added a node to your NDisplay config I have attached image of my settings.

Host Settings:

My node settings: