NDI ViewportCapture crash with post process

Hi,

I am using UE4.27 and the editor crashes if I assign a post process material to a NDI ViewportCapture. It happens with any post process material.

I make fulldome/planetarium projects. I use a SceneCaptureComponentCube and some materials to transform the result to a fulldome format. I want to make a NDI output of the result of those materials, so I thought I would use the result of my materials as a post process material for the NDI Viewport Capture.

The whole thing works for consistently around a minute before crashing and I get this crash report:

Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION 0x0000008c00000087

UE4Editor_Engine
UE4Editor_Engine
UE4Editor_Engine
UE4Editor_NDIIO!UNDIViewportCaptureComponent::TickComponent() [C:\Users\nihou\OneDrive\Documents\Unreal Projects\NDI_Compile01\Plugins\NDIIO\Source\Core\Classes\Components\NDIViewportCaptureComponent.cpp:307]
UE4Editor_Engine
UE4Editor_Engine
UE4Editor_Engine
UE4Editor_Engine
UE4Editor_Core
UE4Editor_Core
UE4Editor_Core
UE4Editor_Engine
UE4Editor_Engine
UE4Editor_Engine
UE4Editor_Engine
UE4Editor_UnrealEd
UE4Editor_UnrealEd
UE4Editor
UE4Editor
UE4Editor
UE4Editor
UE4Editor
UE4Editor
kernel32
ntdll

I don’t really know what it means.

I compiled the NDI plugin for UE4.27 myself since it isn’t installed with NDI for UE4 (it only has a version up to UE4.26), but I don’t think that’s the problem since the same thing happens with UE4.26.

Does anybody has an idea of why that is happening or how to find a way to prevent that crash?

Or even an alternative to make a NDI capture of a material?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Vincent

If I understand correctly, the error has to do with the 307 line of the NDIViewportCaptureComponent.cpp. If so, the line in question is

// Finalize the view settings
View->EndFinalPostprocessSettings(ViewInitOptions);

I also thought it could be a problem of the path to that file that would be too long so I moved my project to another folder. It didn’t solved the issue.

I don’t know if that’s of any help but I really need to find a way to make this work, so any tip is welcome.

Any updates with the issue? I’m using UnrealEngine 4.25 and facing the same issue. I’m using NDI with AirSim and everything goes well until I open the NDI stream in NDI Studio. I’ve also tested watching the stream from another device, and a few seconds after the stream is viewed, it crashes. Only happens if the post processing is enabled (Either via the Post Processing Volume or the NDIViewportCaptureComponent). If I have the post processing disabled in the beginning and enable it later on, the crash still happens.

i haven’t tried to fix it myself but there is a new official release from NewTek for UE 5.0. maybe they fixed it.

also, there are the Offworld streaming tools that offer NDI besides other streaming formats. you can get it here