Download

NavMesh - Use Overlap instead of Collision?

Is there a way to get a NavMesh to build based on an object’s Overlap test instead of the Block/Collision test?

Probably not, but I’m not sure why that would be useful. What are you trying to do? You can use NavMesh blocking/modifier volumes to create holes in the navmesh without actually creating collision, if that’s what you’re after.

Thank you for your reply!

I am creating a twin stick space shooter in which movement is locked to the XY plane. I am using a Blocking Volume to create the navigable area within the NavMesh, but when it intersects with my character or other objects like asteroids and enemies they spaz out because they are stuck inside the Blocking Volume.

You can use Nav Modifiers to create holes in the navmesh for certain actors (or all actors) without creating collision.

Here’s an (old but still valid) thread about it:

https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/106727/how-to-make-character-navigate-around-navmodifiers.html

Thank you so much! It sounds promising. I am going to give it a shot after work. :smiley:

I think I am close to getting it to work the way I need it to.
Any idea why my Navigation Data is so… messed up? - Using a custom NavArea_Default.
I looked into How to make character navigate around navmodifiers they are blocked from ? - UE4 AnswerHub and set the default cost to 10 as suggested.
Runtime Generation is also set to Dynamic… I clicked on build… I am not actually seeing the NavData draw in the editor, but I see this during debug in game…

Thanks Again!