Navisworks export issues

I use twinmotion for rendering piping design in facilities. As the pipes are the focal point of our renders, it is important that they look the best they can. I’ve continually run into issues with twinmotion struggling to map textures to non-primitive FBX objects.

To solve this issue, I’ve turned to the Udatasmith exporter for navisworks. Depending on the application, this works quite well. The texture mapping works great. Unfortunately this has it’s own issues, which I am hoping to find a solution for here. This image shows what I’m struggling with.

Our renders can be of an entire process facility which includes hundreds of lines and pieces of equipment, many of which might need a different texture for the desired level of realism. When exporting from navisworks, you are asked to “Merge last Nth objects in hierarchy”. When I use “0”, which is what gives me the same number of objects as an FBX export, all of the curves export as faceted shapes instead of smooth curves. I assume this is a memory saving measure, but it ruins our models.

If you have a fix for the faceted .uds exports or .FBX texture mapping please let me know.

Thanks in advance!