Nanite render problem

Im getting this "Assertion failed: NumSceneInstancesPo2 <= (1 << 24) [File:D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Renderer\Private\Nanite\NaniteCullRaster.cpp] [Line: 1345]
UnrealEditor_Renderer
UnrealEditor_Renderer
UnrealEditor_Renderer
UnrealEditor_Renderer
UnrealEditor_Renderer
UnrealEditor_Renderer
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_RenderCore
UnrealEditor_RenderCore
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
kernel32
ntdll

Everytime i try to render. I am using kitbash3d models in my scene.

Anybody had this problem before?

3 Likes

I’m also facing this same issue. I used some megascans assets with nanite.

Same problem here. Trying my first movie sequence and running into this exact error. I have been trying to fix it for 2 days.
Assertion failed: NumSceneInstancesPo2 <= (1 << 24) [File:D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Renderer\Private\Nanite\NaniteCullRaster.cpp] [Line: 1345]

I can’t imagine that only 3 of us has had this error.

Help would be much appreciated!

This is an issue because one of your nanite mesh is having a problem which I don’t know what it is.

The solution I found is to disable nanite on all meshes and try rendering and it worked for me. You can try it and see.

I’m having this problem as well. Although, I have 0 nanite meshes. The level loads but as soon as I click on the viewport it crashes.

Fatal error: [File:D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\RenderCore\Private\RenderingThread.cpp] [Line: 934]
Rendering thread exception:
Assertion failed: NumSceneInstancesPo2 <= (1 << 24) [File:D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Renderer\Private\Nanite\NaniteCullRaster.cpp] [Line: 1345]

0x00007ffe13497b6c UnrealEditor-Renderer.dll!UnknownFunction []
0x00007ffe1394ef7e UnrealEditor-Renderer.dll!UnknownFunction []
0x00007ffe13951d14 UnrealEditor-Renderer.dll!UnknownFunction []
0x00007ffe139203a2 UnrealEditor-Renderer.dll!UnknownFunction []
0x00007ffe139396ba UnrealEditor-Renderer.dll!UnknownFunction []
0x00007ffe139411fa UnrealEditor-Renderer.dll!UnknownFunction []
0x00007ffe383e3a9d UnrealEditor-Core.dll!UnknownFunction []
0x00007ffe383e3f3e UnrealEditor-Core.dll!UnknownFunction []
0x00007ffe383e42e1 UnrealEditor-Core.dll!UnknownFunction []
0x00007ffe7b2d976b UnrealEditor-RenderCore.dll!UnknownFunction []
0x00007ffe7b2dd158 UnrealEditor-RenderCore.dll!UnknownFunction []
0x00007ffe38ab7a2b UnrealEditor-Core.dll!UnknownFunction []
0x00007ffe38ab0a90 UnrealEditor-Core.dll!UnknownFunction []
0x00007ffea1d67034 KERNEL32.DLL!UnknownFunction []
0x00007ffea33c26a1 ntdll.dll!UnknownFunction []

i am having the same issues with 5.1

and i turned off nanite on my meshes.

I did find that turning off nanite in the project settings allowed me to render out of movie render queue, which is where i was getting the same crash.

I encountered the same problem in UE5.1, which is also MRQ rendering landscape material grass. My solution is to use brush paint grass or Procedural Foliage instead of landscape material grass.

I also have the same issue :frowning:

Sadly, sometimes somehow after the project starts and the engine is trying to compile the shaders the Editor just crashes with this “NaniteCullRaster.cpp” error:

Assertion failed: PrimitiveCount > 0 [File:D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Renderer\Private\Nanite\NaniteCullRaster.cpp] [Line: 1461]

UnrealEditor_Renderer!Nanite::AddPass_PrimitiveFilter() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Renderer\Private\Nanite\NaniteCullRaster.cpp:1461]
UnrealEditor_Renderer!Nanite::CullRasterize() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Renderer\Private\Nanite\NaniteShared.h:131]
UnrealEditor_Renderer!Nanite::CullRasterize() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Renderer\Private\Nanite\NaniteCullRaster.cpp:3329]
UnrealEditor_Renderer!FDeferredShadingSceneRenderer::RenderHitProxies() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Renderer\Private\SceneHitProxyRendering.cpp:736]
UnrealEditor_Renderer!RenderViewFamilies_RenderThread() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Renderer\Private\SceneRendering.cpp:4377]
UnrealEditor_Renderer!<lambda_ef66e436fe0af094708bd504a85cce72>::operator()() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Renderer\Private\SceneRendering.cpp:4653]
UnrealEditor_Renderer!TEnqueueUniqueRenderCommandType<`FRendererModule::BeginRenderingViewFamilies'::`87'::FDrawSceneCommandName,<lambda_ef66e436fe0af094708bd504a85cce72> >::DoTask() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\RenderCore\Public\RenderingThread.h:206]
UnrealEditor_Renderer!TGraphTask<TEnqueueUniqueRenderCommandType<`FRendererModule::BeginRenderingViewFamilies'::`87'::FDrawSceneCommandName,<lambda_ef66e436fe0af094708bd504a85cce72> > >::ExecuteTask() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Async\TaskGraphInterfaces.h:1348]
UnrealEditor_Core!FNamedTaskThread::ProcessTasksNamedThread() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Private\Async\TaskGraph.cpp:760]
UnrealEditor_Core!FNamedTaskThread::ProcessTasksUntilQuit() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Private\Async\TaskGraph.cpp:649]
UnrealEditor_RenderCore!RenderingThreadMain() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\RenderCore\Private\RenderingThread.cpp:415]
UnrealEditor_RenderCore!FRenderingThread::Run() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\RenderCore\Private\RenderingThread.cpp:541]
UnrealEditor_Core!FRunnableThreadWin::Run() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Private\Windows\WindowsRunnableThread.cpp:149]

It seems like a random thing, it happens with an empty level too, so dunno, but it’s very annoying… : /

Getting the same Errors are there any news to this?

Having the same issue, but i did render a sequence of the same level and now its showing this error.
Assertion failed: NumSceneInstancesPo2 <= (1 << 24) [File:D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Renderer\Private\Nanite\NaniteCullRaster.cpp] [Line: 1372]

I have the same issue. It happens in render in one level. There a lot of nanites. But didnt have this problem before. Do not change anything, just next day I’ve start to render and this is crashed:
[2023.02.12-08.52.51:464][241]LogScript: Warning: Accessed None trying to read property CallFunc_GetPlayerCharacter_ReturnValue
Landmass_test_1_C /Game/Levels/Brushify/UEDPIE_0_Landmass_test_1.Landmass_test_1:PersistentLevel.Landmass_test_1_C_0
Function /Game/Levels/Brushify/Landmass_test_1.Landmass_test_1_C:ExecuteUbergraph_Landmass_test_1:016E
[2023.02.12-08.52.51:464][241]PIE: Error: Blueprint Runtime Error: “Accessed None trying to read property CallFunc_GetPlayerCharacter_ReturnValue”. Node: Branch Graph: EventGraph Function: Execute Ubergraph Landmass Test 1 Blueprint: Landmass_test_1
[2023.02.12-08.52.54:224][242]LogWindows: Error: appError called: Assertion failed: NumSceneInstancesPo2 <= (1 << 24) [File:D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Renderer\Private\Nanite\NaniteCullRaster.cpp] [Line: 1372]
The other levels is rendering fine.

Ive also try to render scene without any nanite meshes, and it renders fine. But after I’ve added a nanites - it crashed again.

Okay Guys, there are two possible solution which i am not guaranteeing, it sometimes worked for me.
Solution 1 → Try to identify which asset you made changes to, which henceforth made crashed like this, in my case it was this sphere which i turned into nanite( there was also a material using 8K texture), i deleted the object from the scene it worked for sometime.
1.1 Disabling the nanite on the sphere also worked once and then it again started crashing
1.2 Deleting the material of the object that is causing the problem can also potentially solve it.
Solution 2 → Disable nanite from project setting and it will work too but again not sure, it worked for me twice

Solution 3 might sound stupid but if you are interested

Solution 3 → go to project settings and disable the nanite completely ( I Know you are using nanite just wait). Open the project, try rendering it, now save the project and again turn on nanite again and restart the engine, now if you try rendering it might work,
but this only works once that means once you switch on nanite you only will have one chance to render things out, or else you have to solution 3 steps again
I know it sounds Exhausting but this is only possible logical solution that worked for me.

I have some suspicions that this has something to do with directx12 driver so maybe updating the driver could also work.

Please guys solutions may work for you let me know.

1 Like

Ive get the laltest update for Windows - didnt work. This is for the DirectX update

I’ve tryed to switch off nanite in project settings - the render is worked. After I’ve turn it on again - the same crash.

I’ve also tryed to use Lumen as render engine before it was a RT.
And I’ve also try to figure out what nanite mesh may cause this crash. So I’ve assembled a scene with all nanite meshes I had in last level. It renders fine.

Then I’ve start to delete nanite meshes from my scene. Start with rocks and little twigs that was scattered by dropper plugin - didnt helped. Then i’ve delete all foliages - didnt helped.
What I’ve figured out.
I’ve also try some CVARs with nanite raster, cull raster - didnt do anything.
I’ve use a brushify landmaterial with autograss scater. So i switch a ninite to grass and preserve area. When I’ve swithced off the grass from landscape material - the render start to work. And what I do next - I try to switch all nanite from the grass material and turned the grass back on, but now without nanite. And the crash happend again. Very interesting. It looks like a grass is causing the crashes, but when the nanite turned off why it happens again?
ANyway - I fugered out that the grass was causing the problem. Switch off at all - no crashes even with the other many nanites in scene.

Is anybody from Epic have read this threads?

1 Like

it definetly feels that the special update they released for using nanite for grass and scatterers are ones causing the main problem.

Hi all! I have a similar problem. The MAWI also writes about this. They claim it’s a UE5.1 bug and it’s not fixed yet.
Crash appears when there are many instances of nanites in Land Grass Type.
This is a problem for large maps. I fixed it for myself by removing the part of LGT where it is not needed.
For example. Crash appears when more than 20% of the map size 2017x2017 (120 scale) is filled with LGT.

4 Likes