Nanite Performance is Not Better than Overdraw Focused LODs [TEST RESULTS]. Epic's Documentation is Dangering Optimization.

I’ve bitten by tongue so often with this.

So your 5 years of game dev makes you more knowledgeable than the engineers that wrote it - often having 30-40 years of assembly and c++ knowledge and deep understanding of not only low level rendering, threading, compositing, buffering and HLSL - not to mention the various operating systems/devices/internet etc. Have been in the industry since it started, have been writing 3D code since before 3D acceleration, following all the advances in CPU instructions, followed all the gfx cards right back from the ATIs and S3s and watched how they have progressed and been enhanced…

It’s like we’re all walking up a hill - these people have laid out the path for you to easily climb - they’re way up the hill from you - their view of the surroundings is a lot larger than yours, they have had a lot of practice and experience - they can also see the higher parts of the hill a lot more clearly from where they are.

But if you want to continue feeling like you know best - go ahead - I get the feeling none of what I’ve just said will actually make any difference - you’ve already cashed in on popularity by your complaining and turning it into a conspiracy theory.

Bottom line though - UE5.4 is the best engine so far by a large amount - if you don’t want to use Nanite don’t - if you don’t want to use TAA don’t - they’re options.

A real game developer isn’t usually spending their time shouting about the injustice of it all - they’re usually quiet with their head down making what they want to do work with appreciation for the engine base to work with.

I don’t think you have much of an idea of how modern businesses work and any real idea of money and work forces. Let alone the vision to look into the future.

1 Like