Nanite foliage issues

Hi All

I have placed a large amount of grass around my level and no matter what I change I can’t seem to get the grass to stay at LOD 0 I don’t want it to use anything else so even from a good distance away it looks the same so no visible change any help or advise would be amazing

Thanks
Ryan

1 Like

If it’s Nanite, you don’t need LODs.

So one thing you can do, is just remove all the other LODs from the model.

Or try the console command ‘foliage.ForceLOD 0’ ( if you are using LOD models ).

yeah I tried that console command but did not seem to do anything which is why I am confused by why it still doing it

1 Like

You can copy the model, and remove all other LODs, that has to work :smiley:

Not sure what I am missing here but still does it

I just downloaded the same asset, by default it’s using LODs

I turned on Nanite and removed all LODs except 0

This is per instance fade from the material, is that what you mean?

i am guessing so how do I turn that off sorry I know I am being silly here haha

The material is using a texture to mask the grass mesh. If you look in the material you can see this

So opacity is coming from the red channel of the ORT parameter texture. In the material instance, that’s

I open that texture and turn off mips

and voila

Performance nightmare, btw :smiley:

Thank you so much yay no more disappearing grass lol

oh i know i am now going to have to work out how to get good performance from this any thoughts ?

1 Like

You can change the mips to fade out much further away. No point in drawing it all the way to the horizon :rofl:

1 Like

sorry to sound stupid but how ?

1 Like

You can try ‘per instance fade amount’ then you can have control from the material

I can’t find anything right now about changing the mip bias for one texture at runtime…

1 Like

Thank you for you help

1 Like