My Unreal takes so long to auto-save or save

Hey guys,

I don’t know what is wrong with my Unreal, I got a good specs laptop to support the weight of the software, but for some reason, every time it saves it takes probably at least 15 minutes, even there are few modifications. Here are the specs for my laptop. Does anyone know what the issues might be?

Device name LAPTOP-UMRUNMLO
Processor Intel(R) Core™ i7-10750H CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.59 GHz
Installed RAM 16.0 GB (15.8 GB usable)
Device ID EECBE799-3ABA-4E01-A4E4-3AF0E59A5524
Product ID 00325-82016-60555-AAOEM
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch Pen support
Edition Windows 10 Home
Version 20H2
Installed on ‎2021-‎03-‎23
OS build 19042.1165
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3530.0

Most relevant hardware spec for saving is the hard drive latency. Mechanical hdds do a lot worse because of the random access of many small fragmented pieces. Either way, even for big projects saving shouldn’t take more than a few seconds with some exceptions like after imports etc. I suggest creating a new project to test if there is something wrong with your project.

1 Like

There’s more likely to be something wrong with the unreal install.

Verify the engine files.

Also, schedule a chkdsk /f because the drive must be experiencing some sort of bad sector error to take 15minute.
Unless you are overly exaggerating because 15 seconds feel like 15 minutes when waiting on something that should take .05 seconds.

I wish I was tbh, but I use unreal for my school work and every time it saves i have to do other stuffs instead of waiting because it takes too much time.

Hi
I have an old pc the specs are:
Intel core 2 duo e4500 @2.20ghz
1tb HDD @5400tpm
4gb ram
GT 610 2gb DDR3
And when I use unreal engine it loads slowly but it saves within 2 to 20 seconds and I have a worse pc than yours so I recommend you to try updating your graphics driver and do windows update and use the latest version of windows it might help
I too had this problem when I had windows 7 and upgraded to windows 10 recently and it is kinda faster when saving

@anonymous_user_22009e86 can u tell what graphics you use, intel or nvidia graphics

BTW it might take time to save because if you might have lot of materials and stuff like that in your unreal engine project it will take time to load and I would suggest you to open task manager and see if u have a HDD or an SSD
And don’t store unreal engine in Cdrive cause if u store ue4 in ur c drive it will be slow as your OS is in Cdrive and your system has to load many things and will pressure your C drive
TBH I m not that professional in ue4 but I m good in hardware and stuff so reply it fast

I use nvididia, yeah that might be the case, I store the project in C drive haha

Yeahh that’s the problem
What version of unreal engine u use??
I would help you how to move unreal engine editor and project to another drive

I use the 4.26.2 version, ah i just realized that i put the project in D drive, an external one

Steps to move unreal engine editor to different drive:
1.open file explorer
2.Locate unreal engine editor(the program not the project)
3.create another folder in different drive called unreal engine (or anything, it is not necessary)
4.move unreal engine editor to the new folder you created

CONGRATS YOU FINISHED MOVING UNREAL ENGINE 4 TO A DIFFERENT DRIVE

Just kidding now starts the time consuming problem
1.Now open epic games and go to unreal engine
2. It will be grayed out and says you should install(it is normal, it says u to install unreal engine )
3.now click install and change the location of it to the new folder you created unreal engine
4.it will say directory should be empty
5. Now change your old unreal engine name to the same name but with the letter ‘x’ at the end
6.now click install in the new folder you created and it won’t say any error
7.now let it install for like 1% then pause it and close it
8.then delete the non ‘x’ unreal engine and rename the x one to unreal engine
9.then click resume in epic games and then it will say verfiy

Those are good ideas, I don’t think my project is that heavy on landscape cause, it’s all grass and mountains, I do have quite a few tiny props and such. I’m not really sure how to check cause I’m fairly new at this lol, but the project in general is nearly 50 gb.

It’s generally not true.

The only way you’d see a difference is if your main harddrive is sata and your project is on an m.2 running in pcnve x4.
Or a thunderbolt or something similar with much more bandwidth than sata.

As far as the OS running side by side.
Usually the OS inst writing things to disk constantly. Usually. Reading, Maybe.

And in regards to the external drive thing.
Don’t you have a USB3 or usbC port to use for better bandwidth?

See this post it might be helpful

Or just delete assests you don’t want

i just checked and the main umap itself is 104,873 kb, and there are a couple of umaps within the project but I don’t really do anything with them, but one of them is 173,053kb and the other is 1,607kb.

PNG16 isn’t a a light file format to begin with.
But why would it save again if no changes are made at all? / is it actually doing that every time you “save all” ?

I have taken them apart every which way possible.
There’s just no way that you can get AAA quality performance when using the landscape system.

And it’s not for lack of trying, but by design.

I honestly don’t quite understand how Brucks & Co spend all that time working on what has basically dead technology for at least 6, maybe 8 years. (Except maybe providing backwards compatibility to stuff like world machine)

Octree mesh placement based on a flat file of vericis would basically offer 10 times the speed at an overall cost reduction on almost all fronts.
But there’s better ways to that too - procedural driven.
@MaximeDupart has some great a t stuff going with infinite procedural stuff to name one.

That said, 8k ^2 is a lot of vertex points to keep track of regardless of how you look at it, isn’t it? (That’s the largest landscape size you can cook up, a wopping 2GB saved).

Best way to use the landscape system, is firstly being a maso chist, and secondly baking it down to a mesh.
Useing only meshes.

And now of course Houdini is a great alternative to creation too - at least going by their videos. They even have a world composition implementation thing going…

2 Likes

oh no no, that was my bad, it was originally in D drive haha, it is still in D drive right now, maybe I’ll do that