My UE4 has several problems that I can't seem to fix

Well, I have not been having a good first experience with UE4, not because it’s a bad engine, but because I have had multiple extremely aggravating and detrimental problems since I started using it.

• The engine keeps freezing for about 15-20 seconds at a time about every half minute. I don’t have any idea why this occurs.
  • Compiling takes an ungodly amount of time to do, whether it’s packaging a version of my game, or just trying to rebuild the lights, UE4 doesn’t want to do anything anytime soon. I don’t know if this is caused by a bad computer, or if it’s something with the engine I am not realizing yet.
  • The engine for whatever reason keeps telling me that it is ‘Compiling Shaders’ And I think this is causing a good portion of the lag. I don’t what I did to cause it to do this, but even after shutting down my Computer and getting on UE4, it just keeps doing it.

What’s your machine specs? Sounds like it’s really struggling for memory, be it physical RAM or GPU memory.

Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GTX 760
Processor: AMD Athlon II X2 270 3.40 GHz
Ram: 4 GB
64 Bit Operating System

Run diagnostics on your computer. Sounds like either bad RAM or a HDD failing.

Compiling Shaders is when you make a change to a material, usually I just wait until it’s finished compiling before doing anything else but I imagine this is pretty slow with your CPU.

If you’re constantly tweaking things, make use of material instances if possible as it’ll save you a lot of waiting.
Compiling the engine does take a long time the first time, but after that it’s been nearly instant for me.

For learning/playing around I’d just turn on LPV rather than use Lightmass, BAM no more waiting for lighting to build.

If it’s unresponsive when shaders aren’t compiling that is something strange.

Both compiling shaders and compiling in visual studio are CPU dependent (as far as I know), I don’t really know much about AMD CPUs but it looks pretty weak.