My terrain is large - what is the world machine export process?

Thanks! You will likely see what I mean about how easy it is to import in one piece, then how poison it becomes after performing a tiled build. :frowning:

I would offer up my tiled terrain for you to test with to save you the time but I am not at home to have access to the files.

Also, I do not see this dialogue anywhere (which is in the world composition info) :

doesn't exist.png

Hey, did you have any luck with it? I still can’t seem to get it unfortunately.

Unfortunately I can just try it out in the evening -> currently in school :wink:

Ah sorry!! - I assumed you were epic staff (Moderators almost have the same flair!) :stuck_out_tongue:

Unfortunately not :frowning:
Just an ordinary user :smiley:

If you have to wait until the evening, I will send add my terrain files to dropbox and send you the link - just incase this is all down to me being silly in world machine in the first place! :slight_smile:

Quick Update :

I have tweaked some of the settings in world machine and now have a much better looking build screen - so that is promising.

(I had missed the top section on the tiles configuration in the documentation)

There is clearly a long time left of this build (it is normally much faster, so I hope this is good news!)

Will provide more details when completed.

I realize this update may seem pointless, but who knows who might need it a year down the line!

Slightly better now, but still not right.

Imported the new build - The image below is what I have now. It is still to cramped in horizontally, although looks right vertically…

Also - any idea what this is all about?

I’d recommend if you are starting out with UE4 to make a single 4x4km terrain first. Detail that out , get comfortable with the tools and then start working on making tiled terrains.

It’s like a new writer attempting to write a 1000 page novel before being able to write a short story.

I have done smaller terrains, detailed them out, got them looking nice etc. This is me trying to make that next step towards a larger environment and unfortunately failing at it.

Sorry about this, there is a regression with tiled landscape import in 4.7. It was fixed with this change:
https://github/EpicGames/UnrealEngine/commit/56626be625707db794233559a5d2fab5cf570e8d

But it will be only in 4.8 release.

I get a 404 when I try to see the link.

is it the likely cause of my terrain being cramped? or is that something else?

Is fixes warnings on your screenshot. Without that fix all imported tiles will be placed on top of each other, so components get overlapped.
You need to setup github access to view the link https://wiki.unrealengine/GitHub_Setup

Is there a work around in the meantime?

If they are overlapped, maybe its not so much that the tiles are squished in, but more that they are overlapping and taking up less space? is that likely?

If not, I have absolutely no idea how to fix this issue.

Unfortunately there is no workaround for the warnings, I will try to push this fix into next minor release, if we will have one.
It looks like Z scale on your landscape screenshot does not match to world machine scale, check out this page https://wiki.unrealengine/World_Machine_to_UE4_using_World_Composition
and use Z scale settings mentioned there.

I followed that guide, which is how I ended up here :slight_smile:

The guide says to multiply my height by 0.1953125

My height was 2625…

Sooooo, 2625 * 0.1953125 = 512.6953125

And 512.6953125 is the height I used. :frowning:

I would have thought that to be right? no?

You can always export heightmap as one file from World Machine, and import it using Landscape tools. Later if you want you can subdivide it to tiles using Move Level tool https://docs.unrealengine/latest/INT/Engine/Landscape/Editing/ManageMode/index.html

Whoa, Hadn’t seen this, is there any kid of disadvantage to this approach? or is it the exact same outcome?

If it is the same, I will give it a run tonight when I get home.

Will I still be able to see the rest of the terrain that is in the distance, but just not in mad amounts of detail? Because having entire sections of mountains pop in is just not cool :stuck_out_tongue:

What is XY size of the landscape in the World Machine? You will need to adjust XY scale in the unreal as well to make it match to Word Machine.
For example:
if landscape in WM has size 2x2km with heightmap resolution 2017 then unreal XY scale will be 200000/2017 = 99.15
for Z size (elevation) in WM = 1000m, z scale in unreal will be 100000/65535*128 = 195.3

65535 is a range of values for 16bit heighmap
128 is unreal internal Z scale for heighmaps

My world machine size is 15km * 15km and my resolution in that screen is 4033.

Tile Resolution is 2017

Do I need to change my unreal settings for that? I didn’t see anything about it in the guide :frowning: