My sprite character cant go up go up steps like stairs and bumps, why?

My sprite character cant go up go up steps like stairs and bumps, why? does someone maybe know a quick fix?

Hello Quick,

The side of the sprite is colliding with the side of the stair. You’ll need to either code the movement blueprint to ignore collisions below a height relative to the sprite. Or, you can remove the collision mesh of the stairs, and place a curved ramp collision mesh so that it lines up with the stairs.

As . said, the problem is that the vertical part of the stair is colliding with the vertical part of your player’s collision.

If the impact normal between the player and the surface is horizontal, the player will only be effected horizontally by the collision (think a wall vs a slope)

297283-stepexample.png

To fix this you could do one of three things.

1.Change the collision mesh of the stairs to a slope. The visual mesh can still look the same. Look into UCX collision importing if you want to do this effectively.

297284-stepexampleslopesurface.png

1. Trace in front of the player, and move up a step if something within a valid height range is found.

297285-stepexampletrace.png

1. Use a collision mesh that slants in at the bottom (eg. capsule) for the player. This makes a slope similar to option one, except the slope is on the player not the stairs.

297286-stepexampleslopecapsule.png

thank you i forgot to check back and i thought about doing it so i did it but thank you it worked:)

I have another question though if that’s okay how would i be able to make a sprite character jump because i’m unable to jump and I’m pretty sure that’s because my character movement is set to flying

Typically we like to keep new questions confined to new posts. However, there’s an easy node you can use in your character blueprint named “Jump”. You’ll need to use it in tandem with your “InputAction Jump” node and “Stop Jumping”. You can find an example of these nodes being used properly in the “2D Side Scroller” template. You can find controls in the character blueprint’s details tab under the “Character” header (when selected on the “2DSideScrollerCharacter(self)” component, in the context of the template).

Check out our tutorial on 2D Character movement if you need a visual: Paper2D: Movement | 06 | v4.4 Tutorial Series | Unreal Engine - YouTube