My player pawn gets stuck running along walls

I am using the default CharacterMovement class using . My level is made of 50cm high additive brush walls perfectly straight and aligned to a 1m x 1m grid. The player capsule is 30cm radius by 140cm high. Just running left and right along the flat walls my character is constantly getting stuck in collision and I have to jump to release him.

Is this a known bug?

I should add I get spammed with output log messages:

LogCharacterMovement: TestPlayer_C_10 is stuck and failed to move!

update - I’ve replaced the BSP collision with 1x1 m blocks and auto-convex collision and I haven’t been getting stuck at all, so thats good…

Hi Madpuppet,

This is a known issue. BSP is great for blocking out a level, however it is not ideal for gameplay due to several known bugs with collision. One thing that could make it easier is to change each bsp into a static mesh (in details panel of the bsp, expand brush settings, create static mesh is in there) and apply collision to it in the static mesh editor. This will give you the same blocks, however they will be able to get a more consistent collision. Thank you and have a great day!

Thanks. I’ve been able to try out some auto-generated convex collision mesh from our static mesh models and the collision issues did indeed seem to go away.

Thanks also for the tip on creating static mesh from BSP. I didn’t know you could do that and that will be very useful for some other things I was needing.

Not a problem! I’m going to mark this as answered for tracking purposes. However if you need further assistance on this topic please let us know. Thank you and have a great day!