My landscape isn't detailed enough and has dark spots!

Can someone please help me.

1. I saved this Blender landscape with a UV Map of 4096x4096 then exported as a .FBX
  2. Imported it into Unreal 5.
    Question - Why are there these dark spots everywhere? Is it a lighting setting or something? I thought it was my UV map as my original map was only 1024x1024 but then I remade the UV map at 4096x4096 and it still has the dark spots.
    Please help me understand what I am doing wrong, I am new to Unreal. Thanks.

You don’t want to use an FBX file as a landscape. You should export your landscape as a heightmap and import this into UE’s landscape editor or even better, use the Landmass Plugin. Then you get the option to edit it in real time. Granted, it won’t support the overhangs that I can see in this landscape. Typically you do this with extra meshes inserted into the landscape. These shadows everywhere are likely due to a shadow map issue. Set your dominant light to Moveable and they should go away but that’s not really a solution. Again, there’s a dozen reasons why you don’t want to use a static mesh as your landscape. Most importantly is that it will always be visible to the player and therefore every poly of the landscape will always be in memory and kill your performance as there’s no opportunity for culling to take place.

Here’s a good tutorial on learning Landmass: Getting Started with Unreal Engine Landmass plugin to create spline based terrains - YouTube

Thank you for the reply. Yes I will use a height map then. Can I sculpt a landscape in Unreal 5 and then export that sculpt as a height map for use later too?

Hi @lm1280!

You can, in fact, export a heightmap from UE5. What you need to do is go to Landscape Mode → Sculpt and right click on your heightmap on the bottom and select the option that pops up. From there tick the export bubble and export your heightmap.

UnrealEditor_vw5IZxNQiO

I hope this helps

1 Like