My inventory item is overlapping existing item

Hello!

My inventory (I made from the wonderful Ryan Laley's tutorials) items work wonderfully when I use them, I started working on the drag and drop function followed by a gentleman from youtube named Karan Parmar. The drag and drop function works as expected but I had 2 problems with it. I tried fixing the two issues, thankfully I eliminated 1 problem, but the current issue I am having now is when I drag and drop an existing item into another existing item slot, it overwrites an existing item and deletes it completely. 

My question is, how can I eliminate this problem and move on with finishing off my inventory? I will attach some pictures associated with my On Drop Function, and my Slot Swap function.

Thank you so much!

Uploading: slot swap problem.png…
inventory 1
inventory 2

I’m not sure exactly what’s the problem, but you may wanna input “Source Swap” and “target swap” indexes into the function? Because in your screenshot it will be always 0 if it’s otherwise not somehow stated in the function itself.

On the other note, you may wanna track whether the slot is empty or not by a boolean for example, and run “swap” operation only if “empty” is false.

1 Like

Thank you for replying!

Unfortunately, I attempted to recreate what you told me, and somehow it still does not work, the item still overlaps the existing item. I may delete the drag and drop coding and try to code it all over again from another video tutorial. Below are the recent pictures of the situation.

From what I see right now - you don’t state anywhere the “is empty” to be false. The chain logic should be: Check Drag and Drop Operation > Check If Your slot is empty (you already do that) > If it is empty - freely drop the info from drag and drop operation and set the slot’s “is empty” status to false. Otherwise, if your initial slot “is empty” bool is false > You run a swap function.

You also need to set the slot to “is empty” true when you detect the drag operation and not on drop. I’ll check Ryan’s tutorial a bit later to see what may be missing and come back with a more structured answer If you’ll still be in need.

Ryan Laley’s tutorials did not involve the drag and drop operation for UE4, I had only followed Karan Parmar’s drag and drop tutorial, I think that is where I got trapped because I did not follow the rest of his previous videos consisting of the inventory layout.

Here is the link to his tutorial I followed. Unreal Engine 4 - Request - Drag and Drop - YouTube

Please forgive me for not understanding your directions fully, I am somewhat experienced in UE4, but not fully. I am more of a visual learner when it comes to text directions.

I fixed it! whenever I made the slot swap function work, I was also able to properly follow Karan Parmar’s video tutorial correctly. I did not need to use an “is empty” boolean after all, but instead checked my drag operation node, use an equal (text) with an item structure break and a “make literal text” node. Then I plugged it into the branch infront of the drag operation node and copied and pasted the previous array elements, followed by my slot swap function and refresh node!

From what I see, all is good so far, but I did ask for your help and I greatly appreciate everything you did! Thank you!