My computer freezes/crashes when I open a project.

I haven’t encountered any major problems except from slow loading from Unreal and I got this free project from Unreal learning course and when I opened the project it was stuck at 95% and afterwards my computer stops functioning a blue screen didn’t appear but my computer just froze. I was currently using version 4.25.

My computer specifications:

-i5-6400 2.75ghz 4 cores

• Nvidia GTX 1050

• 8gb of ram

• Hard drive 500gb

i find that a freeze at 95% is generally when the engine is compiling the start map… now i put the ‘kite demo’ trees in my startmap and it takes about an hour to compile the map the first time… if your computer is using 100% of the CPU (task manager) you’re not going to get anything else working on your computer (i have a 1050ti)… so i would suspect it might be the size of the project startmap…

try taking your projects stuff (in documents) and copy/paste them into a blank project so that a basic map loads up first, then try to load the projects startmap again… it may not work, but it’s worth a try…

1 Like

Does the engine load up normally when you create a template project? Check the quality settings of the engine, maybe they need to be reduced to perform better and stop crashing

I did what you told me and the project crashed but not my computer. Thanks for the advice though.

lol… well it was worth a try

try, umm… go into documents file again… open the ‘config’ folder… open ‘defaultEngine.ini’… scroll to ‘EditorStartupMap=’ and delete the start map path (for all three)… and save

do make a clone of your project first!!! and try it in there… i’ve never had these problems before, so ‘i’m just guessing!!’… good luck

your using engine version 4.25? I am not sure how stable it is, I had a lot of issues with 4.24.3, crashing every 5mins.

the solution I found was switching to engine version 4.23.1, have not handle a single crash in 3 weeks.

try switching to version 4.23.1 and see if you can load the map, you don’t have uninstall the current version, so u can switch back instantly if it doesn’t fix the problem.

hope this helps.

God Bless you. May Jesus Christ be Charitable unto you.

Acts 10 : 33 - 48, google it, its Awesome.