My character can't walk upstairs

Sorry for the noob question. My character ( which is the default dummy ) can’t go up the stairs I made. My character just bumps to it. I already fixed the collision of the stairs and so far it’s good, it’s just that it seems like the problem if the step height of the character is too low for her to start walking on it.

I then went to look for the character movement component since I suspect the problem is the steps max height. I saw the charactermovementcomponent but it’s all greyed out. I can’t edit it for some reason. Can someone help?

Edit: The character can do multiple jumps on it but can’t walk on it

Hey @TheWanderer1234, welcome to the Unreal community!

Can you confirm that the mesh in question has “Can Character Step Up On” set to Yes? If that is set to yes, we do indeed need to look at the step height. The options in the character movement component should not be grayed out unless you are currently simulating play; if that is the case simply stop simulating and make your changes before continuing.

If you can confirm that your mesh is set to “character can step up on” and you are not simulating play, please let me know and we can troubleshoot further.

I hope this information helps, and good luck!

1 Like

Hi, thank you for the reply Sky. I forgot to mention this in my post where I followed this tutorial on youtube Simple procedural stairs - Unreal Engine 5 - YouTube on how to make stairs.

So far it was good until I made my character walk on it, that’s the reason i posted this. I got tired yesterday and found out that I can create a stair in the modelling mode which works good without problems. I resolved the problem by deleting the procedural stair that I made and created a new one in the Modelling mode.

I feel stupid learning this now. I apologize.

Got the same problem. In my case it was “Walkable Floor Angle” property on Character Movement component, which is needed to be increased.
Ref: Set Walkable Floor Angle | Unreal Engine Documentation

1 Like

Sorry to be reviving this topic, but I had the same problem and ended up finding a solution. In my case, I noticed that I had some faces of the steps with the Normal facing towards the inside of the object, when I corrected this, the character started to climb the stairs without any problem. I’m leaving this solution in case someone has the same problem and ends up finding this topic.

1 Like