I’ve been working on this little pet-project for a while now. I don’t really have an end-goal in mind, other than to dramatically improve my knowledge of C++ and create at least a vertical slice of the old-school Battlezone games in a ‘AAA’ format. For now I’m just focusing on the hovertank / combat aspects before I consider tackling anything RTS based. Battlezone and Battlezone II were really rad games, you should totally check them out
Made this into a master thread to avoid posting loads of them Here’s the original post, check further on for updates
— Original Post:
After fixing the physics-side of the programming for my project, I started integrating weapons and powerups a couple of weeks ago, this is the result. Sorry about the shaky video, that’s just the screen-cap software, you can see a stable 120FPS in the top-right
Done in C++ and (should be) network-ready. Once I get some nicer effects in there I’ll at least be able to battle two of them in PVP (No AI yet).
Few notes about the weapon system:
- Each craft specifies a number of ‘Hardpoints’. In these hardpoints, you can specify a weapon class, a socket to fire from, whether it’s replaceable, the default equipped weapon etc. It acts as an inventory but also as a way to limit what kinds of weapons the craft can hold, and how many etc. In here you can also specify a bone to use for a ‘Recoil’ effect, but that’s not yet implemented.
- Each weapon drains ammo based on the Ordnances cost, from the same ammo reservoir on the craft. Each craft will have a limited amount of ammo it can carry, and more powerful weapons will cost you more. Later, I may add in support for Localized Ammo reservoirs for a weapon.
- Weapons support firing in Salvos (volleys) of multiple ordnances at once, as you can see in the video. They can fire all at once or over a burst, with shot spread and additional pitch to counter-balance gravity.
- Hardpoints are given ‘Firing Groups’, which allows you to fire multiple weapon hardpoints at once in the same group. You can select a different firing group with RMB or Scrolling with the mouse wheel. Later, I want to add the ability to fire multiple groups at once, based on the users selection.
- Powerups will check to see if you already have the weapon in each slot on the craft that can support it (determined by the hardpoint class), and if you’ve already got it, they’ll reject.
- Health and Ammo powerups are also now supported!