Muscle-Based Deformation

Hello, everyone,

I wanted to show off a personal project I am working on. It’s a new method of getting realistic body deformation based on real-life anatomical muscular-skeletal functionality.

Long story short my rig uses no blendshapes (NO pose-space deformation) and automatic weightmapping. It’s still a work in progress but you can see a little preview here:

Right now I’m working on a method of making the easily customizable. Because it’s highly anatomically accurate, transferring it from one character to another will require the rigger to have a profound level of anatomical knowledge (medical level). My aim is to make the process as easy as just moving a bunch of points around.

7 Likes

That’s a really good job, and without blendshapes? Amazing!

Is it something that works in UE4?

Thank you.

1 Like

Yes. It uses general weight maps with linear skinning, so no fancy tricks just a new rigging method. It works with Dual Quaternion too but some programs don’t support it. There is a slight difference between Linear and Dual Quaternion but it’s unnoticeable to the untrained eye.

Some previous tests:

Here you can see no geometry clipping when the arm is down. This is a side-effect of the rigging method which proves very useful when combined with cloth simulation:

Male/Female morphs:

4 Likes

Testing out how it looks with smooth details:

There is no spring dynamics feature but it can be keyframed in manually, same goes for squishing and squashing:

This effect can be applied to each part of the body.

3 Likes

Some NPR renders:

3 Likes

Shadows controlled through normal maps

3 Likes
4 Likes

This looks fantastic. Very realistic deformations, nice work.

Does it use a lot of extra bones (compared to the standard Unreal Skeleton?)

Yes, a lot of extra bones (like 4 digits). I’m testing it out first in Daz Studio and it works in real-time with no issues. Once I create a definitive version I will convert it to Unreal to see how it holds up. There’s no similar rig out there I could compare it with so I can’t really predict how it will run in a game engine until the work is completed. Fingers crossed.

1 Like

Wow, I’ve heard of rigs with hundreds of joints, but not thousands. It looks amazing, though, so I hope it works out.