Multiple Thread usage for "UE cook process"

Hey all,

we’ve go a bit of a problem with the threads usage during cook. We are using a AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X for our build machine and would like to use it to it’s full potential but it’s only used during engine and project compilations.

That’s rly irritating tbh cause we went down from 28 minutes for Engine&Project compilations to 9 minutes and for a clean build we have only a 3 minutes difference: from 62 minutes to 59 minutes.

:warning: I would just like to know if there is by any chance something we could do to make UE use every thread possible for the cook process?

:warning: Also is there any way to hae a “distributed cook”? Asking cause we are using SNDBS.

Cheers.

2 Likes

well just like any software not every task will consume all cores/thread, you can check this benchmark website testing different task of ue4 such as packaging, opening project etc : Unreal Engine 4.16 CPU Comparison: Skylake-X, Kaby Lake-X, Broadwell-E, Skylake, Ryzen 7

It is a little bit old doc but still show the different part of the engine using all cores or single threaded.
If you often do cooking, you might consider going for a lower cores count but higher freq. Unless epic make some modification or improvement on cooking workflow in the future(in ue5 maybe, who knows :d ) .

I agree with Arodi. I have seen somewhere that epic would make said modifications.

UE5.3 added this feature, but anybody knows how to use it?
LogCook: Display: CookProcessCount=1. CookMultiprocess is disabled and the cooker is running as a single process.

1 Like

The doc is here: Using Multi-Process Cooking for Unreal Engine | Unreal Engine 5.3 Documentation

2 Likes

Thanks

1 Like

I’m trying to use the new multi cook process feature.But I’m getting the following erros.I don’t know how to fix it.
LogCook: Warning: No log file found for CookWorker 0.
LogCook: Error: CookWorkerCrash: CookWorker 0 process terminated before connecting. Assigned packages will be returned to the director.