Multiple Small Features Ideas

I have couple of ideas for small yet impactful additions to the engine that can be nice.

1. “+=” and “-=” nodes. A lot of times in programming it’s required to increase or decrease a value. Instead of using “set” with add & get (3 nodes), “+=” & “-=” just make things a bit more easier… and if there’s a “not equal” node while “not” and “equal” nodes exist, I see no reason not to add this basic yet impactful node.
  2. Variable folders. I do think it can be nice so projects with many variables would be more organized.
  3. c++ <-> blue print translator. What I mean by that, is that if someone uses a blueprint it would be able to see how the blueprint would look in c++ (not talking about its input and output, just the blueprint. for example ADD woould translates into A+B) and same thing from c++ to blueprint. That would make things a bit easier for people using one of them more often (for example I’m more experiences with programming, while I do have some experience with the blueprints of 1 or 2 projects, knowing the matching nodes to to certain code lines like “new” could have been nice).
  4. get value from map by index and not only by key - sometimes you want to access a map by its index…
  5. Names for arrays’ elements. Sometimes it can be useful (Similar result to what request 4 does but it can be a nice addition)
  6. “define” option like in c++, sometimes it’s easier to check
  7. On hold button. Instead of using both action mapping & axis mapping with a gate, add an “on hold” event (similar to how it works in android programming).

Just couple of few suggestions that I hope that will be added. noting too big.

1:

Would be cool if there was a proper one, for sure! The Low Entry - Extended Standard Library plugin has those, me thinks. And a metric ton of other superuseful nodes.

2:

Or you mean something completely else - variable folders - not sure how to grasp that.

3: yeah, maybe
4: not sure if I see the point
5: meh
6: kind of
7: enhanced input does this

1. The whole point of maps is you look up by content :slight_smile:

That’s only for +1, a lot of times you want to do var+= [expression].
Increasing by 1 is a good example for a specific use but it can also be for example for taking damage/healing ( hp+=value).
There are quite a lot of situations where you want to take your var and just add/sub something from it, so var+= and var-= is pretty useful.

Tbh I never tried working with plugins for ue or even thought about it, I"ll try checking it out, thnx.

Good to know it exists, thank you.
I tried finding how to do it but I couldn’t find anything. Thnx!

Sometimes you want to do something for one element and sometimes to all. you still want to get the specific element by its name when you need a specific one, but for all of them you need to be able to run over the map.

Personally I find myself in a situation where it can be useful.
You have multiple different options for the same category so you put them all under an array, but since they are all from the same class, it’s a pretty big problem telling who’s who.

Couldn’t find anything about it… And from research online the results are always about connecting a repeating process to the press/release button rather than having a simple event.

But what if I want to go over all of the values?
If to give an example,
In one of my projects I needed a data structure to hold 12 different values, and since numbers (the index) don’t tell me much, I wanted to have some sort of way to give them names, so I used a map.
But since I need to run over all of them in order to check for the ones I need map also doesn’t work…

I guess for this specific example request 5 or 6 fit more. But there are some situations where you want to do something for all of the values and there are situations where you want to refer to one value only.

But what if I want to go over all of the values?
If to give an example,
In one of my projects I needed a data structure to hold 12 different values, and since numbers (the index) don’t tell me much, I wanted to have some sort of way to give them names, so I used a map.

Do note that you can associate a key with a struct - which can hold any data. This would give you more than you asked for regarding #5. What I want, is to plug an array here:

Directly, rather than wrap it in a struct.

This should not be free:

But here we are.

2 Likes