Multiple Landscape PhysMats?

How did this fall through the cracks?

Yes, put this feature back on the to do list.

Bump, this would be amazingly helpful.

Also I have scaled UE4 in 4.18.3 and there is NO WAY to do this, I’m going to have to do away with my auto landscape material and do everything by hand.

i have submit a new bug report for this a few weeks ago. it has been received successfully. let’s wait for results i guess.

4 years… XD

haha at least we have volumetric fog…

It appears this is listed on the roadmap for Future Releases.

Look at Material Layering Workflow.

It appears to be the feature, or am I misunderstanding it?

Exactly, like Chosker saw your answer has nothing to do with our requested feature.

An improved workflow for working with layered materials. Artists author a core set of physically based materials and create materials for assets by blending these layers together with a powerful and easy-to-use UI.

Physically based materials are not Physical Materials

you misunderstand,

Layered Materials (Layered Materials | Unreal Engine Documentation) is a feature that shipped in 4.0 (!) and the workflow and tech behind it are being revamped - with an experimental version already shipped in 4.19 ([SHELVED] Material Layering Feedback for 4.19 - Niagara & Visual Effects - Unreal Engine Forums)

this has nothing to do with Physical Materials at this point

Well, my comment wasn’t an answer, it was just that, a comment.

Either way, thank you two for providing clarification. You were right in my assumption that physically based materials were the same thing, my wrong. Now I know.

Back to knocking on Epic’s door until they get this done.

The only way is to dump a bunch of assets down and have the physical material trigger off that and use the landscape as just a base which is a pain in the butt, but this appears to be the only way possible, for now.

Has this been addressed at all? I cant believe something like this hasnt been added as its fundamental for procedural/large landscapes

2019 where I’m located. Still looking for a solution for layered materials.

Any news on this? Trying to implement this with procedural landscapes. The only way so far is to import files from layer actions…would be nice to be able to control this within the material itself.

I haven’t seen anything more on this yet, this is really annoying.

We are in 2021
Still no way to use GetHit to know which layer our character is walking on.

The reason is quite simple. It would require to execute the material expression (a shader) to get the information.
But it is impossible to do, because the shader is not designed to do so.

The solution is to procedurally generate your landscape and paint it, then replace the landscape shader with a normal shader, then bake your procedural painting into a splatmat.

Some shaders in the market place have this option (search M4 which support baking for example)

The feature request will never be implemented because it is impossible to do it real time. It has to be done by using a splatmap type of terrain.

You can check this feature in the M4 terrain asset documentation here: https://aaronneal.online/docs/m4/baking-splat-heat-maps/

Well, we are in 2022 and there is a node called “Landscape Physical Material Output” can solve it. I don’t know since when it has been added but for 4.26 it is here.