Multiplayer Systems

I would like to make a request of adding native Steam support.

I understand the BP functions of Steam are limited but for those of us that do not ‘code’, the limited bp Steam functions are a great place to start (and unfortunately lacking from this kit).

Hey, thanks for your answer. It could be that the projects share some features and i can’t say what Allar exactly did in his project.
Sadly we both submitted our projects at the same time (mine was delayed, because there were too many submissions for the past 2 weeks already).

But my project is for beginners to have a well documented Start, where they can see how things work and also ask me to get some more clarification.
I don’t know if Allar has the exact same functionality in all his features, so you better watch my Video and compare.

I payed heed to commenting everything and keep an overall clean Blueprint. You will find a comment for nearly every function, explaining what is done
and also a “Reroute Node - Bombed” event graph, because i wanted to keep the project as easy too read as possible. If you scroll up a bit, you
can see a screenshot of one node graph.

There are also some Tutorial Blueprint, teaching the some basic information about classes and how to use them in Multiplayer. This is more like an
educational project, that also helps beginners to understand Blueprint Networking. If you are already very skilled in this and you only need
the things working, then i guess Allars Project is well suited for you. If you are a real beginner and you want to learn how these things are done, i would
recommend my project (i don’t want to say that you don’t learn from Allars Project!).

And also, this project here is not a shooter. The functions are separated from each other (with some minor overlapping, for example the Chat and the Group System).
For example i don’t know what features Allars Chat has, but you can control the Group System (which is build like an RPG Group System) over the Chat.

You can use the features from this project for all different kind of games. That’s why i only put a small Jump Collecting Game in it (to also display a Winning Screen).

At the end, it is totally up to you which project you prefer and i know that the price might be way higher than Allars one. To be honest, Allars 20$ are awesome, i wouldn’t
sell for that low price, since i know how much time and effort i put into this (:

Check out the Marketplace with the Information and Videolink:

https://www.unrealengine.com/content/0ba6e65c1474472cbdf1d8b7505dcc92

You can also check out this OpenOffice Textdocument, which contains the Features of this project.
This was what i sent to Epic, but it seems like they took a smaller version for the Marketplace site:

EDIT: Just a quick example for the teaching part again:

http://puu.sh/iW9zl/35328e3597.png

This is again how i made the Blueprints. So you can actually see and learn how this works and don’t need to mess with crossing
wires and functions that do something you don’t understand. And even IF you don’t understand a function or i missed a comment,
you can come to me and ask me for clarification (:

The comments you see in this pictures are short, because the logic behind it is inside their functions (you can see that the commented
parts are only 2 nodes).

What exact Steam things do you need? Steam is marked as an “OnlineSubsystem”. If you integrate Steam into your project (there are some good tutorials out there), it should work out of the box, because the Session Nodes will then call
the underlying Steam Functions. Everything else is still handled in UE4 Networking (like replication).

If there are function nodes that are using Steam directly, i would step back from using that in my project here, because i don’t want to limit it to Steam.

well to be honest i wanted to purchase the system but when i saw the price i didn’t , if it was 30$ or something i would say yes but 50$ is just to much for a blueprint

In regards to eXi’s post above…

As for why you would want this over mine, eXi has already stated some good points.

My chat system is very limited. It doesn’t even have ‘team say’ atm, although it will in the future. At no point will it ever support grouping or whispers though. That will never be on my roadmap as simply it just isn’t needed for Generic Shooter. If you need that functionality in Generic Shooter, I would say buy eXi’s and integrate it into mine.

eXi’s lobby system is more featured and more… dare I say… generic. My lobby will allow for chat, team switching, readying, and map voting. Not really much else, and the early versions won’t really have much “I want to add this new option in” support easily. Also, while Generic Shooter is modular in its architecture, it isn’t designed to take one part out of the whole and apply it somewhere else. eXi’s system will work much better for an existing project, whereas I highly recommend people merge their stuff into a Generic Shooter project instead of the other way around. My asset is a great project starting point. eXi’s is much better suited for implementing into your existing project. I get a ton of questions asking how to implement Generic Shooter into existing projects and there isn’t really a clear answer, but that is what eXi’s system is all about.

As for my price point, yes it is low, but it will also be increasing with each update. So buy it now if you want it at $19.99, because it won’t be that forever. At some point it could eclipse eXi’s price point and rise above it, provided eXi’s stays the same. /shamelessselfpromotion

I did a fairly decent job at commenting my blueprint logic. If I were to post screenshots of it, it’d look comparable to eXi’s. The difference with mine though is I do some crazy things and some of the logic is deeply technical (for instance the replicated weapon logic), so while I have the same level of commenting, admittedly its not enough to actually learn from unless you’re already familiar with higher level systems. eXi’s would be a much better starting point in that regard, and that’s definitely a worthwhile selling point. I would like to improve my asset on this front, but this effort is easily the most time consuming, and I’m already working 2+ jobs.

I provide a Shooter project. eXi provides an implementable gameplay system. While we overlap on a bulletpoint feature list, they are significantly different. Unfortunately this appears to be creating some sort of perception that these are competing assets. eXi’s system would not easily integrate into Generic Shooter, nor mine into his, but this doesn’t mean they are competitors, it means they fill entirely different niches.

I recommend eXi’s asset over mine if someones brand new to blueprint networking and wants to learn how to pass data around. That being said, I recommend buying mine too, because, well, I made it. Buy both!

If i could, i would upvote what Allar just said.

Both packages are fantastic in their own rights!

Well, i couldn’t have said it better (: Thank you so much Allar for the kind words! Thumbs up for buying both of them!

well with all that explained i guess i have to buy it

Support those that support you. Your price is fine. Too bad I cant buy it for a few days as im away from my desktop. Rest assured I will be buying your project as it still has more value than the current price listing in my opinion.

PRICE REDUCTION!

Starting with the fresh and new year, my project will be reduced to 30$ starting 1st January 2016!
It may be only temporary, so make sure to grab a copy if it was too expensive for you the last time!

Hope everyone has wonderful holidays and a great start into the new year!