User Tag List

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Generic Shooter: Support Thread

Hero of the Peole

Cool Generic Shooter: Support Thread

JOIN THE GENERIC SHOOTER SUPPORT DISCORD! Chat with other Generic Shooter Devs!
    (We recently just moved from Slack)

New Wiki is a work in progress.

OVER 1300 COPIES SOLD!

Important: The 3D UI has been officially deprecated and will no longer be in 4.10+ versions. It has been replaced with a much better 2D UI system.

Now available on Itch.io!

WHAT IS THE GENERIC SHOOTER SAMPLE PROJECT?

I have to update this video at some point.

GENERIC SHOOTER SAMPLE PROJECT FEATURES:

• 100% Blueprint
    • Includes *basic* mobile functionality
    • First person and Third person camera views
    • Full support for multiplayer
    • Includes Deathmatch and Team Deathmatch game modes
      • Configurable options such as round timer and friendly fire
      • Randomly chosen teams with team name and team color support

• Pre and Post game Lobby
    • In-game Chat
    • In-game Scoreboards
    • In-game Kill Feed
    • Configurable Instant Hit and Projectile weapons
    • Includes basic pistol, rifle, grenade launcher, and rocket launcher weapons
      • Includes very basic placeholder animations for first and third person
      • Weapons can be dropped, behave as physics objects, and can be picked back up

• Ammo pickups
    • Hit markers and take damage indicators
    • 3D Frontend menu with full keyboard and mouse support
    • Persistent settings menu
    • Functional server list*
    • Customizable player hats
    • ...and lots of little things to add polish done through iterative feedback and playtests done on my twitch channel.

CURRENT VERSION: Electric Eel 4.15

CHANGELOG:
    07/24/2015: Ambitious Artichoke: General bug fixes and improvements, added a lobby, better support for explosion decals
    08/07/2015: Butchering Beagle:
    • Out of the box tested support for PC, Mac, Ubuntu, Android (Galaxy S5, Nvidia Shield Portable), iOS (iPad 2) and PS4.
      • Mobile support from me will be very limited. Also, mobile UI is playable, but its pretty annoying. Will revisit when I can add buttons and joysticks to the HUD without joysticks eating all input
      • Mobile "Join Session" node in BP seems to not work with OnlineSubsystemNull (engine bug), but mobile can connect to servers via 4-finger tap and "open" command
      • By setting the project's default map to MenuShell, the game will automatically load a Desktop or Mobile main menu based on what platform you are on

• Crouch functionality has been added.
    • Fixed bug where map vote would stall if timer expires and no one has voted
    • Fixed bug where if a client joins the game late after the lobby screen has disappeared, their first person arms would appear invisible
    • Fixed bug where if you didn't give a player a Primary slot weapon by default, they would spawn holding nothing even if they had another non-Primary weapon

08/10/2015: Epic-created update to fix "Add To Project" vs "Create Project" buttons in the launcher. If you already have the 08/07/2015 version, this update has nothing new feature or bugfix wise, and only addresses an issue with the launcher.
    09/22/2015: 4.9.1 version of Butchering Beagle released to the marketplace.
    11/13/2015: Generic Shooter marked 4.10 compatible without requiring any changes
    01/04/2016: Cathartic Crouton Released for 4.10+
    • Change: Entire 3D UI system has been ripped out and replaced with a much better and easier to use 2D UI
    • Change: Mobile and Desktop main menu paths merged together, only one main menu exists for desktop and mobile platforms now
    • Change: Did a deep animation pass and fixed many of the 4.7->4.8 animation issues. Made more placeholder animations. 1P weapons now are perfectly centered when aiming down sight when using offsets of 0,0,0.
    • Change: Minor performance optimizations across the board
    • Change: Improved asset file naming conformity (especially regarding animations)
    • Feature: Very much improved support for programmatic addition of Game Mode settings in the main menu UI (Tutorial coming soon)
    • Feature: Exposed "Prefer Third Person" to main menu settings
    • Feature: BP_Deathmatch (therefore all game modes) now has settings to control whether player nametags are visible
    • Feature: Basic jumping is now supported 'out of the box'
    • Feature: Fall damage
    • Bugfix: Unintentional vertical 1P jittering
    • Bugfix: Grenade Launcher explosion hitch related to obscure but reproducible Garbage Collection bug in core Engine
    • Bugfix: Empty sound cue VolumeTesting_SFX
    • Bugfix: Clients only see one impact for shotguns instead of scattered impacts (Client shotgun scattered impacts are now implemented but are only approximated to save bandwidth)
    • Bugfix: Looped weapon fire sound cues and muzzle flashes replicate incorrectly
    • Bugfix: Clients' auto reload is not in sync
    • Bugfix: Animation speed issues on clients, clients' run animations play at a faster rate than intended
    • Bugfix: Rocket projectiles are not rotated correctly on clients
    • Bugfix: LAN shows Online Games and Online Games shows LAN with Steam subsystem enabled
    • Bugfix: Dedicated servers don't properly clean themselves up after round end

2/29/2016: Cathartic Crouton Patch 1

• Change: Deep clean pass across all content
    • Bugfix: Looping muzzle flashes don't stop when running out of ammo
    • Bugfix: Tracer rounds don't have correct rotation on spawn
    • Bugfix: Weapons dealing double damage in many cases
    • Bugfix: Having only Team spawn points without any 'Any' spawn poitns causes 'Can't Find Player Start'
    • Bugfix: Semi-auto weapons don't respect Time Between Shots

04/19/2016: Cathartic Crouton Patch 1 - 4.11

05/18/2016: Cathartic Crouton Patch 2 - 4.11

07/11/2016: Cathartic Crouton 4.12.5 (Must have Hotfix 5 or later)

• Change: BP_PlayerCharacter and BP_PlayerCameraManager now use a First Person character mesh attached to a camera and spring arm. 4.12 mysteriously broke transform math for more optimized approach.
    • Bugfix: Fixed 4.12 related issues mostly related to broken nodes needing to be re-done.
    • Bugfix: When mouse is set to inverted, it becomes reset after death. Fix is shown here.
    • Bugfix: When weapon fire sound is set to loop but muzzle flash is not looping, weapon fire sound never stops on clients. Fix is shown here.
    • Bugfix: Sometimes client lobby screen titles are cut off. Fix is shown here.

09/20/2016: Dank Drumstick 4.13

• Change: 4.13 Compatibility
    • Change: All asset names now conform to http://ue4.style
    • Change/Feature: Greatly reworked character definition system. Character infos are now defined as BP_CharacterInfo classes. This adds support for characters of different skeleton types. These character infos also define which animations to use with weapons, as well as weapon offsets
    • Change: Weapon animations are now pulled from character info and are not stored in weapon classes
    • Change: Server is now aware of client's camera view mode
    • Change: All impact effect decals now have lifespan default to 10 seconds instead of 0 seconds (so that they clean themselves up over time)
    • Feature: Very basic Foot IK, disabled by default. Hopefully improved in later versions by use of animation curves
    • Feature: Game modes now have an option to not shuffle team infos, thus making team info data static
    • Feature: Footsteps. Footsteps have the ability to have unique effects per physical surface type, however I only ship a generic footstep for all materials. Footstep effects are defined in BP_CharacterInfo classes
    • Feature: More consistent and better weapon fire line traces and projectile spawning
    • Feature: Player controllers now have a checkbox for picking a random more human readable player name on begin play
    • Bugfix: Client projectiles now no longer choppy in-flight -@gbr
    • Bugfix: Picking up ammo throws an error
    • Bugfix: Server not replicating listen server player third person impacts correctly
    • Bugfix: Weapon offsets were not working. Now replaced with new character info system

03/21/2017: Electric Eel 4.15

TUTORIALS:

Ran out of space in the 2nd post due to a maximum YouTube video embed limit, so more tutorials will bleed into this first post, but be sure to check out the second post down below.

How to configure whether or not your first spawn is in first or third person:

How to use marketplace muzzle flashes:

How to define a custom physical material asset for use in Generic Shooter:

Last edited by Allar; 03-22-2017 at 05:57 PM.

Hero of the Peole

TUTORIALS:

How to add a custom character! In this example, I'm using the T-Pose Zombie character found on the marketplace. Video is a little sloppy for now, but it'll do the job!

How to add your map to the map selection menu

How to configure and enable/disable the pre-game lobby

Beginner overview of weapon blueprint organization and how to add your own weapon.

Please reply with tutorials you would like to see @Allar make regarding the Generic Shooter marketplace asset below, as well as any questions or things you may need help with, and I'll do my best to answer what I can.
    Last edited by Allar; 02-26-2016 at 06:25 PM.

Samaritan
    Looks great, good job. Will consider using this in future projects.
    Regards,
    Kia.

good news)

GENERIC SHOOTER

Status Changed!

luny:B
    Last edited by lunyBunny; 06-19-2015 at 08:59 AM.

Can i received a e-mail when this AWESOME thing comes out ? rodolfo.marcolino@me.com

@Allar i wrote you two times a pm and i am confused, because of no reaction.
    My small game on IndieDB ****** Beams on Twitter ****** Beams on Steam ****** VideoStuff ****** PictureStuff
    UE brings Math back into my life or i am not sure.

I'm hoping this will be available tomorrow. Can't wait to continue developing my project with this.

Hero of the Peole

The release of this was delayed. @Allar is working on correcting this asap.
    Last edited by Allar; 02-26-2016 at 06:26 PM.

Promoter
    Delayed as in not coming to the Market Place this week?

Hero of the Peole

Quote Originally Posted by MrMrC View Post
    Delayed as in not coming to the Market Place this week?
    Hopefully not.

Infiltrator
    just bought it. I'm gonna mess with it later

Just purchased this as well, I have a couple questions I sent you via email to your support email address. In the meantime, I'd really like to see a traditional lobby system where after the server is started you go into a lobby and wait for other players to join and chat with others. When the server pressed play, then everyone is transferred into the game.

Make it optional for those who want it...

Thanks for all of your hard work, hopefully it's paying off for you!

So tempted to purchase this. Decision....decisions.

Hero of the Peole

Quote Originally Posted by Schneeder View Post
    So tempted to purchase this. Decision....decisions.
    As a buyer of other things on the marketplace, if you like blueprints, its definitely above average quality. Is it for you though? Iunno. Buy it! Or not. @Allar is not a cop.

This is perfect. I think I will use the scoreboard system in my Shootingrange simulator for moose-hunters.
    You got my 19.99. EDIT: I hope its possible to replace the gun sounds :P If I delete the sounds from the
    project, will I get blueprint errors or any other error?
    Last edited by Frequia; 06-17-2015 at 08:50 PM.
    System
    ASUS G550JK - 12GB ram, Nvidia GeForce 850 2GB

ArtStation
    Artwork thread

Hero of the Peole

Quote Originally Posted by Frequia View Post
    This is perfect. I think I will use the scoreboard system in my Shootingrange simulator for moose-hunters.
    You got my 19.99. EDIT: I hope its possible to replace the gun sounds :P If I delete the sounds from the
    project, will I get blueprint errors or any other error?
    Awwwww yeah.

If you delete the sound waves, it should be fine, because the only thing referencing them is the sound cue. If you delete the sound cue, you might get a missing reference but it shouldn't break the game. @Allar would advise you to edit the firing sound cues and either have them play nothing or add in your own sounds there. Setting a weapon's fire sound cue to none is supported though.

Veteran
    Most of this overlaps with everything I already have so I'm largely uninterested, EXCEPT I have an imperative question.

How does this handle weapon switching? Does it have functionality for switching between weapons on mouse scroll wheel, hot key, and / or defining pre-game load out setup? Because for some reason I have consistently had things fly over my head with regards to getting multi weapon functionality.

Allright, thanks for your reply Outstanding work and nice price tag as well.
    System

ArtStation
    Artwork thread

Hero of the Peole

Quote Originally Posted by Alaan View Post
    Most of this overlaps with everything I already have so I'm largely uninterested, EXCEPT I have an imperative question.

How does this handle weapon switching? Does it have functionality for switching between weapons on mouse scroll wheel, hot key, and / or defining pre-game load out setup? Because for some reason I have consistently had things fly over my head with regards to getting multi weapon functionality.
    Weapon switching is kind of... complicated, due to the networking side of things.

For this project, @Allar uses the simplest method @Allar could think of as to not get too crazy on people, which is store weapon variables for all the holstered slots and have a variable for the equipped weapon. Various logic then puts weapons in and out of holster slots into the equipped weapon variable, and the weapons fire off events on equip or holster that allow the Pawn to know whats happening. There are a few fallbacks in certain cases for replication when things get out of sync due to lag and such which force weapon updates over the network from the server.
    Last edited by Allar; 02-26-2016 at 06:27 PM.

Luminary
    @Allar: Bought and currently setting it up for one of my projects ... thanks for this. I have tons of assets that are ready to go in to this project ... good luck with your sales. 8-}
    Quinton Delpeche
    Founder - Gobbo Games | Designer - The Colony 2174 (Board Game) | Developer - Riders of Asgard

finally bought it

Hi,
    You mentioned that the pack has troubles with 4.7.6 version of Unreal. How about 4.8.0? I'm thinking of using this to start a new project in 4.8.0

Hero of the Peole

Quote Originally Posted by Demolition Man View Post
    Hi,
    You mentioned that the pack has troubles with 4.7.6 version of Unreal. How about 4.8.0? I'm thinking of using this to start a new project in 4.8.0
    This fully supports 4.8, and is intended to be used with 4.8. @Allar did *not* intend it for 4.7.6, even though it is listed as such.

Has anyone been able to get Steam to work?

I have it working in 4.7 but can not get it to work in 4.8 with the Generic Shooter.

Champion

Will this support C++ in the future ?
    Hevedy - Image Tools: https://hevedy.itch.io/imagetools

While I can understand @Hevedys request, I hope this kit stays with 100% Blueprint.

Quote Originally Posted by Allar View Post
    This fully supports 4.8, and is intended to be used with 4.8. It is *not* intended for 4.7.6, even though it is listed as such.
    OK, Thanks Allar. I just purchased it this morning and will give it a whirl.

Unreal Engine Developer
    Quote Originally Posted by Allar View Post
    This does NOT support 4.7.6. If you try this in 4.7.6, bad things will happen. The version selector on the marketplace for this asset will be fixed hopefully tomorrow.

Known Issues:
    • The marketplace launcher is showing support for 4.7.6. This project will NOT run in 4.7.6. This is planned to be corrected tomorrow.
    It is done. :P

Luminary
    Quote Originally Posted by Smarkoff View Post
    It is done. :P
    I have fixed the post for the Allar. 8-}
    Quinton Delpeche
    Founder - Gobbo Games | Designer - The Colony 2174 (Board Game) | Developer - Riders of Asgard

Awesome blueprint, this is very helpful to someone whos trying to learn. Im working on a small game mostly to showcase my 3d assets and this has made my life so much easier. Quick question will there ever be more documentation on what each blueprint does so I can learn a bit more? Also will you ever possibly make an AI blueprint system?

Hero of the Peole

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrSouza View Post
    Awesome blueprint, this is very helpful to someone whos trying to learn. Im working on a small game mostly to showcase my 3d assets and this has made my life so much easier. Quick question will there ever be more documentation on what each blueprint does so I can learn a bit more? Also will you ever possibly make an AI blueprint system?
    Yes and yes, @Allar is working on both in time.

This must be the most helpful blueprint on the marketplace as it saves me hours/days/months of work. Now I have a Fallout 3/Skyrim like camera and a score system + lots of more
    Thanks again.
    System

ArtStation
    Artwork thread

Samaritan
    Can the networking or multiplayer functionality be easily switched off?

Thanks

Great stuff, congrats on the release Allar, a no brainer at that price!

Just about to fire it up

Mark

Luminary
    @Allar: Do you have some short instructions on how to add more player meshes and have them able to be selected in the customise character menu?

Awesome pack by the way ... fine job. 8-}
    Quinton Delpeche

@Allar: just very minor thing: UE is complaining and warning about the long project name, maybe make it a bit shorter.

Hero of the Peole

Quote Originally Posted by Venged View Post
    Can the networking or multiplayer functionality be easily switched off?

Thanks
    It can't really be switched off... but if you remove the "Listen" text in the Host Game button press logic located in the Main Menu widget blueprint, any game you start won't have any online connectivity. The multiplayer stuff would still be there, but no one could connect, essentially making it single player.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorFailure View Post
    Great stuff, congrats on the release Allar, a no brainer at that price!

Just about to fire it up

Mark
    Awwwwww yeah, thanks dawg!

Quote Originally Posted by qdelpeche;314133 [MENTION=1222
    Allar: Do you have some short instructions on how to add more player meshes and have them able to be selected in the customise character menu?

Awesome pack by the way ... fine job. 8-}
    I plan on uploading that some point today!

Quote Originally Posted by blackcellchris;314135 [MENTION=1222
    Allar: just very minor thing: UE is complaining and warning about the long project name, maybe make it a bit shorter.
    I'll see what @Allar can do about that.
    Last edited by Allar; 02-26-2016 at 06:28 PM.

Packaged Game Crashes on Startup. it loads.. crashes.. loads again? crashes.. could use some help here,i downloaded from marketplace, packaged as is.. want to test multiplayer with a friend.
    Logs
    http://pastebin.com/RJ2QrrJW

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast