Multiplayer Combat Editor

Update here :slight_smile:

I worked and added a new feature this past two weeks: passive skills and trigger modifiers. Passive skills is an obvious feature that I completly forgot about but couldnā€™t do without.
Trigger modifiers are little bit special, it is an object that allows us to listen to game events (like an Action being used by an actor, a Stat reaching a certain threshold or a kill / damage being dealt). These modifiers allow passive skills to trigger only at specific moments.

An example would a be a ā€œFuryā€ skill, that only grants you an Attack Speed bonus when below 50% Health.

This is a pretty basic example but Iā€™ve made sure weā€™re able to create many different things.

I also received visual assets from a friend of mine to communicate about the Multiplayer Combat Editor.

Hereā€™s a first draft I can showcase but thereā€™s more in my pocket:
logo_forum.png

I completed the passive skill feature and Iā€™m moving on to creating the game example for it and improving the usability of MCE (once again). I felt some things were not as good as they could be last time I tried as a user.

Iā€™m planning to release MCE on Itch.Io first as approval times on the Marketplace seem to be long at the moment but Iā€™ll submit in the same time.

Have a good start of the week everyone :slight_smile:

Very interested in this, keep up the great work !

Definitely gonna use this to kickstart my fps game. Really looking forward to it

Insanely good fantastic work

Update here!

Thanks for the kind comment, they mean a lot to me :slight_smile:

These past two weeks I worked on fixing the bugs that emerged from the massive clean up of the code and the implementation of the passive skills. I also improved some aspects of the workflow that didnā€™t feel friendly to use.

Now Iā€™m making every widgets easily customizable. I completly forgot about them in the first place and couldnā€™t cut them: stuff like Skill Slots and Stat List are mandatory in a game and tied to the systems handling them. I already had everything in place, just not exposed in a friendly way for the user. Iā€™m fixing it.

I also have a ā€œto-polishā€ list but Iā€™m not sure it will make the cut before the Itch.Io release. Iā€™ll see how it goes and how are my working hours.

Iā€™ll be back soon with more information :slight_smile:

Update!

I spent the last two weeks improving network performance overall and for AI characters especially. This makes us able to spawn lots of AIā€™s in the same time without much bandwidth issue.

It took me more time than I anticipated thatā€™s why this update comes a bit late.

I also improved the importation workflow / usability of MCEā€™s components and features.

The next weeks will be dedicated to prepare the Itch.Io release. I plan to make MCE available for 30$ instead of 40$, as an ā€œEarly Accessā€ (for a few weeks).

During this time frame, Iā€™ll improve MCE with your feedback and then Iā€™ll release the final version. Of course youā€™ll automatically get the final version if you purchased the Early Access.

Early Access will only be available on 4.15, final version of MCE will be available from 4.15 to 4.17+.

Iā€™ll produce Video Tutorials and setup MCEā€™s website before releasing on Itch.Io. Iā€™ll be posting updates here so stay tuned!

Hi,

I have a question about your plugin.
From what I can tell by watching your videos, each skill is an actor component, right?

I was wondering about that setup from a performance perspective. Lets say you can have a large amount of skills. Like for example 100.
Have you tried that and watched if it affects performance?

Many skill systems use more lightweight data to store skill data, in for example a Data Asset, and then spawn skill actors or other assets on demand when the skill is actually used.

I really like having all skill logic pre-spawned in components, but curious about performance.

Keep up the good work!

Hello there :slight_smile:

Yes indeed, it is a replicated actor component which can be pretty bandwidth / performance intensive if done wrong.

I didnt specifically tried 100 actor components but I tried spawning lots of AIā€™s and player characters with some skills.
CPU performance is OK, but they do cause some network traffic.
If 100 characters have 1 skill, skills wonā€™t be your performance bottleneck. If you have several entities in the game with hundreds of skills, yes it might be unplayable. What kind of setup have you in mind? Something like WoW where every player has hundreds of skills? I think this is hardly doable with MCE.

Little update as well:
I spotted new bugs which Iā€™m trying to fix. Iā€™m trying to get something as smooth as possible so Iā€™m still delaying tutorials & commercials.

Good luck and have fun everyone, see you in the next update :slight_smile:

Hi,

100 skills might be a bit extreme :slight_smile:
But if you make for example an RPG skills stack up fast if you
have some active, some passive, and some other game specific skills.
20-30 skills in total I do not consider extreme in any way.

I will buy your plugin and try things out :slight_smile:

Thanks for your answer.

Hey there!

Iā€™ve improved networking performances by switching some features from replicated to locally handled and it comes with a bunch of syncā€™ing issues. It takes me a lot of time to get every features to adapt to these new systems while remaining user-friendly.

To give you a bit more details: building a multiplayer plugin is quite hard as latency is something you canā€™t get rid of. You just deal with it and hide it somewhere. But ā€˜somewhereā€™ really depends on what game youā€™re building. Iā€™m trying hard to build a plugin that can be either adapted to your game or ā€˜okayā€™ enough to make at least a working game without much multiplayer knowledge. I thought about pushing an early early-access version of MCE in the meantime but too many things were awkward or just not good enough (not to mention the fact that reworking code architecture would have made everything youā€™d code deprecated in matter of weeks).

Other than that, IRL work and other troubles are keeping me away from working as much as I would like to on MCE.

I am sorry for taking so long. I remember that I was initially planning a 2017 February release. It makes me realize the huge work Iā€™ve put in MCE and how much Iā€™ve improved it over the months with more features and a better user experience (and it may also tells how bad I am at completing projects :D).

I have a pretty good idea of how I want MCE to be used and I have high quality expectations regarding the features. Both things takes a lot of time. I hope youā€™ll find it worth it.

See you in the next update ladies and gentlemen :wink:

Just wanted to drop in and say, awesome work!

Iā€™m looking forward to trying it out! :slight_smile:

Iā€™m still looking forward to it! Looks great with each update.

Hey there!

Early Access is almost there! I only have to record few starting tutorials and weā€™ll be good to go.

Iā€™d like to restrain EA to only one version of Unreal Engine. 4.15 would be the best for me but I have to ask you guys: do you have a preferred version? Final release will be for 4.15 to 4.18.

I hope to release MCE within this month. Since I initially planned February I donā€™t want to promise anything (:p).

See you in the next update ladies and gentlemen.

Just found this project, it is so cool! I am fairly new to UE4 (doing my degree at the moment, but havenā€™t gone to in depth really, just some 2d side scrollers and making maps for UT). Wanted to start working on blueprint and getting more in depth in my own time but was struggling to make any real headway. I spent time working on different aspects of a game, UI, skills, stats etc. but would love to see the scope of all these together. So this would be perfect for me to buy and study how it all comes together and then have the knowledge to replicate it myself.

Cannot wait to see its final form, and just wanted to say what a brilliant idea this is!

Hey Yun, any update?

Hey there :slight_smile:

I didnā€™t post for a long time because I really wanted this post to be the release post. But it is not !

We entered a pretty heavy work period at our studio and my strengths are being consumed a lot more than usual.

Iā€™m still working on the plugin, Iā€™m actually quickly building a game with it. Here are the first result on Steam:

My current workflow is the following: Iā€™m building game content (classes, skills, perks) as fast as possible and whenever the plugin is not allowing me to do something, Iā€™m trying to easily allow it. Iā€™ve iterated through most of MCE core systems, only remain the passive skills and a part of the modifier features. Iā€™ll try to wrap this up as soon as possible and then Iā€™ll have to take care of the tutorials.

Regarding tutorials, Iā€™m getting warmed up with this series:

I learned that Iā€™m going too quickly, Iā€™m not telling what shortcuts / buttons Iā€™m pressing or what window Iā€™m focusing to. Iā€™m not exposing the fundamentals (which might be a good thing) and Iā€™m not always explaining the goal / expected end result or the reasoning of a system overall. Iā€™ll try to be more newbie-friendly in the MCE tutorials.

And thatā€™s it for this update. Sorry for the long period without updates, Iā€™m trying hard to produce quality content and I have pretty high expectations which often leads me to have nothing to talk about (nothing fancy at least!).

Iā€™d be glad to hear any feedback :slight_smile:

See you in the next update guys, and in the meantime, keep up the good work and enjoy!

Sounds good, Yun. Really looking forward to this release.

I have been really looking forward to your next update. Canā€™t wait for this to be published and best of luck with the crunch time at work.

where can I buy the MCE plugin?

It is not out yet :slight_smile: