MSS: Modular Snap System Plugin

V.1.3.4 fixed some more bugs:

• Fixed incorrect handling of _A parameter (attach when it shouldn’t)
  • Fixed interference with viewport editable vector variables.

Version 1.4 released! Contains improved UI and some tweaks.

New UI: now you can change the snap search distance and show/hide socked directly in the viewport. There is also a button to open the full settings page and a link to this very thread.

By the way, right now we only added “search distance” and “show/hide sockets” options in this popup menu because those all two things we change most frequently. But of course it’s possible to add more options if needed.

Attach to socket. There is a new advanced option “attach to socket”. It changes the behavior when attaching to a socket with “_A” parameter. When it’s set to true the actor will be attached to the socket, otherwise it will be attached to the target actor’s origin. Attaching to socket is useful for skeletal meshes (attach to the hand for example). So, this parameter is here to choose where to attach.

When attaching to static meshes this parameter is always assumed false, because attaching to static mesh socket is kinda meaningless and also can result in weird behavior when duplicating attached actors by alt-drag. So, for those, we always attach to the actor origin, regardless. For others (skeletal or spline meshes) the parameter is taken into account.

Buy on the Marketplace

Experimenting with the “autocomplete” or “suggestion” feature.

Hello, recently I experience that the snapping stops working after a while. I have to restart the editor to get it back working. Just turning snap off and on won’t fix it. Any idea what this could be?

No, we never experienced this one. Which engine version do you have? Is there something strange in the output log?

I will keep an eye on this and see if there’s a log entry when it happens again. I’m using UE 4.20

That would be cool if you can see how to reproduce it. We’re also using 4.20 but never had such problem. If it happens again you can try to change different settings to see if that make it work again, things like distance, angle, “ignore name” or “prevent snap-back” etc.

Micro tutorial: making standard UE cube snappy.

Pay attention to the naming (all sockets are called “Cube_…”) and orientation (X pointing outside) of the sockets. Also, make sure there is a collision primitive (standard UE cube comes with one by default)

Another mini tutorial about making things “snappy”. This time we use basic pipe shapes from UE4 example content.

Pay attention to the naming (all sockets are called “Pipe_…”) and orientation (X pointing outside) of the sockets. Also, make sure there is a collision primitive (example content’s pipes comes with one by default)

Just made another tutorial, a long one

It explains how to use MSS Plugin with a third party modular building asset, like one of those you can find here on the marketplace. I explain in detail and give various tips on how to prepare the assets: i.e. how to add/name/orient sockets, and then how to use it to build some houses.

Version 1.4.1 submitted. This is mostly bug fix release. Changes:

• Respects “Game View” mode. Pressing G in level editor hides sockets.
  • Sometimes not normalized rotators could be produced. Fixed that.
  • Unreal considers Shift-Click and Control-Click as move start, that was interfering with the plugin, especially with “no snapback” option. Fixed that.
  • Added option to snap all moved actors, both selected and attached to them but not selected. Useful with some prefab-style plugins (video below)

Video explaining how new “Snap Attached Too” option works:

New version (1.4.2) incoming! Should be available next week.
This is a little video about new feature called “Snap open only”

Version 1.4.2 published on the Marketplace. Changes:

• Snap open sockets only option (tutorial);
  • Replaced some TArrays by TSets for faster search queries;
  • Refresh editor viewport when clicking on “show/hide sockets” checkbox;
  • Only consider persistent objects and levels. I noticed that unreal creates a lot of temporary actors and levels all the time, so those will be not affecting the plugin.

Gauging interest for a runtime (in-game) version of the plugin. If you are interested please drop a comment on this thread

Version 1.4.3 submitted to the marketplace. EDIT: new version is published already (that was quick!)

• Added copy-paste sockets feature (tutorial)
  • “Snap open only” option will check in front of socket instead of checking around it. It seems to work better this way.
  • 4.22 compatibility

NB: Right now the plugin in on sale!

Just another little example video using snap plugin and our Modular Japanese House pack.

Modular Snap System is 50% off during marketplace flash sale :slight_smile:

EDIT: All fixed, should be correct again.

Attention! If you see an “update” for the plugin this morning, don’t download it!
It’s a bug of the Marketplace, I didn’t submitted any updates. If you download it the plugin will not work anymore.
I wrote them already and I will update when it’s fixed.
Thank you.

I sent you an email but I add it here as well since I believe the bug I reported in email is the same one I was talking about on the previous page. It seems that when you try to snap things but they are inside a large collision volume, the snapping does not work. My setup is such that I have room BPs wich contain arrow meshes with sockets so that I can place the arrows exactly where I want the snap point. This works well but once I place collision volumes around the rooms the snapping stops working.
For now I moved the volumes int a separate level that is loaded during gameplay only but it should be fixed