MSS: Modular Snap System Plugin

UE5 Compatibility update

UE5 is here but the marketplace doesn’t support it yet (normally only stable versions are supported, no preview or early access).

I made a UE5 compatible version but there is no way for me to upload it. So instead I uploaded an update to 4.26 version which will work with UE5 too, but you need to compile it yourself as a project plugin.

Be aware that UE5 is early access and things can change or break, no warranty! Don’t use for production!

The update changes northing except the UE5 UI compatibility. Nanite meshes are supported because the plugin sees them as regular static meshes. You need to define the sockets and the collision, as usual.

How to compile the plugin for UE5

1. Make sure you have a recent version of Visual Studio 2019 (v16.4 or greater)! UE5 will not work with older versions. Docs

2. Install the plugin for UE4.26 (I only modified 4.26, not older versions), the version of the plugin should be 1.4.9

3. In your project create a folder called “Plugins”

4. Go to C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.26\Engine\Plugins\Marketplace and copy the folder called "ModularSnapSystem " into “<Your Project>/Plugins” folder you just created. That’s the source of the plugin. So now you have “<Your Project>/Plugins/ModularSnapSystem”

5. To be sure that nothing 4.26 related remains in the plugin go to “<Your Project>/Plugins/ModularSnapSystem” and delete “Binaries” and “Intermediate” folders.

6. Edit “<Your Project>/Plugins/ModularSnapSystem/SnapSystem.uplugin” (it’s a text file) and replace the line

“EngineVersion”: “4.26.0”,

by

“EngineVersion”: “5.0.0”,

1. Now launch your project. There will be a popup saying “The following modules are missing or built with a different engine version … Would you like to rebuild them now?” Answer “Yes”.
    At this moment the Unreal will launch the Visual studio and try to compile the plugin.

If everything works the project will open and you will have the plugin working. To be sure, open the “Plugins” window and check it’s there and enabled.

1 Like