Moving everything to a new project file

I had a project from UE5EA and it seems it is crashing more than expected using DX12 and I wanted to move everything to a new project just to see if the problem goes away. I know how you can migrate stuff but that’s just moving the folders and assets over to another project but I was wondering if there is anything you can do to place all assets you had in the old project using the exact same coordinates (Location, Rotation). I mean any automatic way of doing it as doing a copy paste for every single assets sounds like a nightmare.

You can either just copy the whole folder in windows and open the new copy.

Or you can make a new project of the same type, and migrate your map files from the old project to the new ones. That should take everything that’s used in the maps across.

1 Like

Thanks mate I know that. I was asking if there was a different way without bringing anything other than the assets where I could retain the assets coordinates in the world. I know there isn’t a way of doing that but I wanted to see if there was anything I didn’t know. I am having problems with one of my projects from UE5EA using DX12 and I wanted to see if a clean project would get rid of those issues. The project works fine in DX11 but I can’t access the landscape for editing or it will get messed up when it was perfectly fine in EA. That is another entire different discussion.

Anyway I just tried migrating that level and it doesn’t even work. It starts but suddenly it finishes and I get lots of errors. So I guess the answer is I lost that project and I should start all over. That what happens if you use an EA version of the engine. I thought it would upgrade as it suppose to do for any UE4 project.

You can open both projects at the same time ( if you still have EA ), and literally copy and paste from one to the other.

I don’t think I have it installed. The thing is I am trying to migrate some other simple projects and they don’t work either. I am now trying to create a simple landscape and migrate it to see what the problem is. Migrating a level without landscape migrated just fine.

Yes, you might have to skip the landscape.

So a simple flat landscape in a clean project did migrate just fine. But you know I added a water ocean and I went to look under water and the engine crashed again. So I think the culprit is the water system that is buggy with DX12. It seems to work fine in DX11.

1 Like

Well not even that. Trying to import a landscape texture to make it a bit more complex and simply flying with the camera crashes the engine. DX12 is unusable at least with a 3000 series card. Unbelievable.

Yes, it is, actually…

Something you might try, is setting all the Nvidia controls back to defaults ( you know, in the GPU control panel ).

When tweaked some things in there that looked logical, I started getting all sorts of problems I’ve seen on forums.

1 Like

I only have Vsync On for gaming. That’s it. Haven’t touched anything at all. I read somewhere there is a fix supposedly coming in the next update (5.1) for that “DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED”. Do you have a 3000 series card?

Nope, 1000 :slight_smile: but I always have problems if I tune the settings.

I see. Well there are tons of people that have a 3000 series card and DX12 is crashing on them as it does to me. DX11 works totally fine. Anyway regarding the project it is somehow bugged. As soon as I access the landscape menu the landscape gets messed up. Not that it’s a big project and I can recreate everything again but it will take a lot of time. I just don’t understand I get so many errors and the migration quits without showing up any errors whatsoever. Nothing gets migrated. Will try to migrate bits by bits to see how much stuff I can take out of it.

1 Like

This UE5 is full of weird things happening. Now when I try to migrate the Megascans folder I always get this popup saying that some stuff need to be moved to a new folder called Migrated. Before we didn’t have that. So it moves everything to the same folder. Very annoying and honestly leaves a lot to desired from a newer version of the engine.

so just in case you had no solution, it might be as simple as to lower your scalability to “low” your graphic card might not be as powerfull as you thought… try that … it worked for me …

1 Like