Moving assets folders broken?

It’s like a dejavù…

(EDITED with same situation still in UE5.2.0):

So… any way to reordering our assets in a secure way, without living scared for a possible future issue, when you are going to finally use “that lovely assets library you reordered time ago”?

You can test it by yourself reproducing the steps with this demonstrative project: 252.16 MB file on MEGA

NOTE: to reproduce, select the folders in the order shown in video; from top to bottom. In the inverse order it will work ‘fine’ (in this specific example).

Hey @Miguel1900!

You need to right click the content directory and click “Fix up Redirectors” any time you move a file! That will make sure all the pointers know where to look, otherwise it’s looking for something in the incorrect location :slight_smile:

Hi @Main_Brain , of course!

In the video you can see I already did it around the 0:25. You can also download the test file and test it by yourself. I bet you won’t get it working too :stuck_out_tongue: but I will be very glad if you could check it, please, and point me the right way, if it’s not broken.

(Spoiler: well, there is a way it works, if you select the folders in the opposite way, but if you do it in my same order, it won’t work. That’s just like a random lucky order coincidence).

@Miguel1900 My apologies! I missed that part, you went through so fast!
It’s a knee-jerk reaction honestly, I didn’t happen to see that but so many people miss the fix-up step (Or try to move folders using Explorer and have no backups :frowning: that’s a fun one!).

Haha, don’t worry, that’s true! At least you tried to reply me with the most probably situation.

Unfortunately, I was teaching my students how to move assets and I crashed with this wall… My only answer was like “Ok, Unreal is quite broken usually. I already reported it years ago, in 4.24 I think, but it seems to be broken again. The only thing you can try is to copy each folder individually in the most tedious way, or just to pray to be fixed by Epic soon, but I wouldn’t rely on that.”

Maybe if you could check it, you could give it more visibility, sure.

Anyway, thank you for your reply @Mind-Brain !