Mouse movement inconsistent when dragging objects in editor

I’ve noticed this for years and it makes level design feel really tedious.

When you press your mouse down to drag an object, unreal seems to take over mouse input in some way that feels different from the normal mouse movement. It’s like it stops reading your raw mouse input and decides to move things at its own speed. To me it feels like the mouse moves a little faster and I overshoot a lot, and then try to move things very gently to compensate and then struggle to move things at all.

Alternatively when I use Maya or other modeling programs and I move things around it always feels great and exactly how I expect. Meanwhile in unreal, dragging BSP brush vertices, moving actors, etc… It all feels really off and feels terrible. Like I have to struggle to move objects and it kinda makes long editing sessions really tiring.

1 Like

Have you turned off snapping?

Sounds bizarre.

I think it has something to do with this : Mouse input in some games is incorrectly scaled on high-DPI devices - Windows Client | Microsoft Learn

Im not a game designer or unreal editor like you guys, I am simply a peon trying to play a game coded in unreal engine 4 and the mouse settings are whacky as fk…

It appears as though in game, you have to lower the games sensitivities to almost nothing -0 and crank up the mouse software DPI. This makes the in game shooting accurate, but the in game menu cursor extremely fast. Its the only way to get accurate aim in game, but out side the game, in the game menu, and in windows desktop the cursor is crazy fast.

I think it has something to do with windows high dpi scaling per that document I linked from microsoft…
Their fix is to go into compatibility mode and turn off the high dpi scaling for the game but since the game launched though steam, it uses some weird bootstrap application and changing this dpi setting in the compatibility settings does absolutely nothing.
The game is called outriders… The mouse is wonky/floaty as fk, almost like its using mouse acceleration, and the pixels/dots per inch moved on the screen is hugely inaccurate unless you turn the game mouse sens to practically nothing and crank up windows/logitech dpi…