Mouse in GFx Scaleform menu gets stuck when monitor resolution higher than stage size

I have not been able to recreate this issue, but a few of my players have reported it. My menus were all made with a 1920x1080 stage. When playing the game in full-screen mode, players with a 4k monitor cannot move the mouse outside the top left 1/4 of the screen. Have any of you had that happen? How did you fix it?

I am having trouble reproducing this issue. I have made test menus with various stage sizes, switched from windowed to full-screen, changed resolution, and I am unable to reproduce the issue.

Any ideas for what I should try?

I have not had any players report this issue (and many run the game in 4k). However I use the hardware cursor (to avoid lag while moving the mouse).

I would imagine it has something to do with how you are translating cursor position in your US/AS3 implementation.

If you want to compare how much more responsive using the hardware cursor is over simulating it in flash, add this to your player controller:

//-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
//Turns the hardware mouse on and off.
//-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
simulated function ToggleMouse(bool bShow)
{   
 LocalPlayer(GetALocalPlayerController().Player).ViewportClient.SetHardwareMouseCursorVisibility(bShow);
}

Then enable it in-game, alongside your flash cursor. You will see how delayed the flash cursor is. This lag is also exacerbated if players are running the game on older hardware.

Even many AAA games (like Resident Evil Village) still simulate their own mouse cursor, and it always feels so sluggish for the user to control.

Do you know if there’s a way for the game to use the hardware cursor, but customize its appearance? I guess you can hide and show the cursor dynamically with that function? Hardware (or System) Cursor - Epic Games Forums has some discussion about the hardware cursor, but it looks like it involves some C++ programming, maybe making a dll, and “Also setting a bitmap in WinApi as a cursor is quite easy.” But it sure would be convenient if all that functionality were already available.

Yes unfortunately you would be stuck with the default windows cursor appearance (or whatever the user had it customized to). You could update it via dll’s, but i don’t think that’s worth it, as you’d have to reset it each time the player exited the game (i think). I would personally be worried about the game crashing and the player’s window cursor being stuck with your custom cursor.

I do think it’s worth it going with the default cursor though, to have that lightning fast input response.