Most Improved Generation of Graphics?

Here’s an interesting question; what generation of consoles made the biggest leap from one generation to the next in terms of graphics quality?

In my opinion it was PlayStation to PlayStation 2. If I remember correctly PS2, topped what even PCs were capable of for a time.

I’d say the leap from 2d consoles to 3d consoles was huge. Otherwise yep, definitely PS1 to PS2. It was a whole new universe.

It depends on what you mean, whether it’s terms of raw power (like how many times more powerful) or how much people perceive a difference.

Funny, I have never heard of xbox till 2016. And it was an accident.

Well, I meant just the perceived the difference. However, I suppose power would almost be synonymous to the visuals as well.

I agree, the jump from 2d consoles to 3d ones was the real game-changer for me. :)](https://cleanthese.com/)

I would say xbox to xbox 360 in my personal view. Look at the differences between Halo: CE and Halo 4 for example.

The initial jump wasn’t very significant though. Nevertheless, that was the generation that properly introduced shader pipelines, so the difference was fairly noticeable.

What is meant by a generation? A console generation?

For PC, the improvements have always been incremental. But the biggest was the jump from 2.5D (e.g. Doom) to 3D (Quake).

Ok I’m old…I’m going for the jump from my Spectrum 48k with 8 colours (hhhmm magenta and cyan) to an Amiga 500 with an extra 1mb RAM extension…not just for the all the extra fancy pixels and colours but the sound system on it was amazing. Which probably sounds stupid in this day an age but when you were used to a series of beeps at different pitches…

■■■■…now I’ve a hankering to play Cannon Fodder…WAR!..it’s never been so much fun… (no ones going to get what I’m on about there…)

i agree playstation to ps2 was a big leap… compare tekkens on ps1( ugh… yuck ) and on ps2 ( not bad at all ), and is it just me or does anyone actually miss those prerendered cutscenes from ps2 era… i just watched an onimusha dawn of dreams cinematic and thought! wow! that still looks totally awesome even today… and that was on ps2… these days with everything in engine, the cutscenes just don’t look anywhere near as sexy… i’d almost like to see it go back to that prerendered cutscene style… cause it was really cool to get to a part of the story and be rewarded with some drop dead gorgeous graphics and awesome fight scene… good old days :slight_smile:

introduction of the voodoo cards on pc made the biggest impression on me.

screamer rally and incoming were both eyebleeders

PS1 to PS2 gets my vote also. You can really really see the difference in graphics.

@L04D3D , I totally agree with you about cutscenes. To me that was part of what you looked forward to when playing a game, those sweet cinematic cut scenes. Which brings Ninja Gaiden for Xbox to mind. Does anybody remember how awesome that game looked when it came out! I mean not just the in-game graphics, but the cutscenes were incredible. To this day that game looks awesome for its age. Team Ninja was ahead of it’s time.

NES to SNES I suppose. Its also the jump where one style got “perfected”. Best looking SNES games are still best looking pixel games ever created.
I wasnt impressed by PS1:s 3D graphics -at all-.

The first 3Dfx Graphic cards for PC were the biggest leap that finally made 3D look good and not horrible. So in 3D id say that was the turning point. Quake 1 turned into a beautiful game with smooth 3D graphics never even imagined before, from the stale ugly bulky mess it was without Glide.

The next step was probably when normal maps and other material layers got popularized and materials were not just flat textures anymore.

I was on opposite with this. Duke3D that came before Quake looked much, much better, and was also a better game in every aspect as well.

But when the 3Dfx voodoo cards arrived, that was when the ugly duckling Quake turned into something never seen before…! (Duke was still better as a game though -until Quake showed its online potential…)

The transition from PS1 to PS2 was absolutely amazing, I got the PS1 which I loved and still do then I got PS2 which made me wonder what else the world is capable of Conquering.

My vote goes to ps2 too,still the first xbox was impressive and it did show what the xbox360 will be.I played on the original xbox half life 2,doom3 and the expansion and painkiller hell wars,the chronicles of riddick.All had everything a next gen console(360) shoud have.Too bad they didn’t ported stalkers to the original xbox as it was planned :frowning:

I vote for PS1 to PS2 leap, and then NES to SNES. PS2 had good looking characters even if it isn’t seem so real. SNES had a good animation for theirs characters.

I think jump for 2d Gaming console ones was the best and the real game changing experience for me and I also agree with you Thanks