Most efficient method of implementing 3D tile based terrain

As LODs are not going to be an issue
(there wont be any) is there a reason
to use HISMs over normal ISMs? thanks
for the answer.

HISMs have LODs and Per Instance Culling, the latter:

Image from Gyazo

If you have a small map and all instances are visible at all times and the camera distance does not change (so no need for LODs), then there’s little reason to go HISM.

If, on the other hand, you’ll have a map of 100x100 but the top-down camera can show a 5x5 only, HISMs will, most likely, provide a boost. I can’t tell a percentage as this would depend on the meshes and the materials used and many other things, surely.

Optimisation is done on a project-to-project basis after all.

That’s my general understanding.

More info here:

I have a collection of 24 3D terrain pieces each measuring 5mx5mx5m. my plan is that I will use these to make the entire terrain for my game (much as it would be done with a 2D game with a tile sets)
I have two options:

1. I can spawn them from a blueprint (so there are 24 ISM components in a single BP) then add them using script
  2. I can manually place each piece into the game by just dragging them into the viewport and building out the levels.

To be clear i will likely be putting thousands of these terrain blocks into the game but only 30 (absolute max) or so will be visible at any one time (top down camera).

So, which would be more efficient from the perspective of PC performance?. I have all the time in the world so that doesn’t need taken into account.

thanks for any advice.

P.S this is copied across from the forum here: Most efficient method of implementing 3D tile based terrain. - Content Creation - Unreal Engine Forums

Not sure how active the forums are these days so thought i would try spreading my net a bit wider. :slight_smile:

I have all the time in the world so
that doesn’t need taken into account.

Lucky. Still, I’d spawn them procedurally.

To be clear i will likely be putting
thousands of these terrain blocks into
the game but only 30 (absolute max) or
so will be visible at any one time
(top down camera).

HISMs then. Per instance culling. If you place 1000 but can only see 30, you only render 30.

Also, this excellent bit:

And HISMs got a couple of bugs ironed out in 4.26.

Thanks ill take a look.

As LODs are not going to be an issue (there wont be any) is there a reason to use HISMs over normal ISMs? thanks for the answer.

Thanks for that reply, ill rearrange it to use HISMs :slight_smile: