More RAM?

I am having a hard time opening projects - it’s taking forever. I don’t have TONS of assets in this project yet. The only real big ones would be Fluid Flux and Dynamic Sky. Still, waiting for the project to open takes a lifetime…

I’ve tried the trick of starting in a basic level that has nothing in it, letting it load and then changing to my custom level. that works on a hit-and-miss basis only.

I am wondering if it is a memory issue. Would upping my RAM help, you think?

I don’t think it’s my GPU, as it hasn’t encountered any errors. Raedon 6800 GTX

Looking for your input here. Almost any advice is good advice at this point.

Cheers

1 Like

If you right click on the level in the asset manager, and choose ‘size map’, what do you get?

No idea LOL

1 Like

In one of the .ini files, I believe it’s engine defaults, there is a setting you can change for allocated ram, there’s a tutorial/thread on here somewhere

Edit: if you Google “allocate more ram for unreal engine” an AI solution should be at the top with step by step instructions

1 Like

So, the level loads 12G ( ! ) of stuff. That could well be your problem…

It looks like you have hard coded references to other levels inside this level, could that be?

1 Like

Shouldn’t. I only have this one level so far

1 Like

It looks like your Palm and Coconut trees have 8K textures which use huge amounts of disk space and VRAM - 13.9GB usable memory is going to make it touch and go to load depending on other apps you have open - your gfx card will probably be able to handle it fine (keep in mind some cards only have 6GB VRAM).

If you could upgrade to more ram (64 is great if you can) it will help a lot with your loading and overall editing.

Otherwise you could reduce the resolution of the textures (on disk rather than just LOD) that would probably help a lot.

1 Like

Grrrrr. Those trees were part of a pack. I wonder if I can resize them to 2K? They don’t need to be super hi def…

I brought my preferences from Ultra (no idea why they were set that high in the first place) to medium… and ya, my 64 GB Ram arrives tomorrow.

1 Like

To resize textures I’m sure there’s a site out there that automatically will do this for you, or if you have an image editor like Photoshop, procreate or maybe even MS paint, just create a new image at the desired size, import the texture to that and set it to the bounds of the canvas. The latter would probably take a good bit of time and would be super tedious, best off just using an image resizer

https://www.adobe.com/express/feature/image/resize

Adobe offers this service free though an internet browser, along with many other sites just Google “image resizer”

1 Like

If it’s just card graphics, you may be able to go as low as 1024, maybe even 512 for texture sizes, 2k seems still even a little overkill for a card but that decision is yours to make. The smaller you can go whilst retaining desired visual quality id say go. Smaller sizes means less vram and less memory use across the board, allowing for smooth performance with more objects in play and more vfx like particles and post process without taxing frame rate

1 Like

I still like having the packs come with high-res textures - it’s easier to resize them down than recreate higher.

As ROFLMAST3R says, you can probably drop them down further than 2K - often the Normal and mask type maps can be dropped to 512 and the basecolor can be 1024 or 2048.

It does, this is what this tool tells you :slight_smile: