Mono relicensed under MIT - C# for UE4 can come back?

In UE4 we have Visual Scripting… but people ask for C#.
I Unity we have C#… but people ask for Visual Scripting and do everything on PlayMaker.

People are always clamoring for something which is not there… personally I can understand the stance taken by Epic not to employ C# or something like that… because they have been bitten by that decision in the past (it slows down performance, add complexity etc).

1. I am seasoned C++ programmer, have been in it for like 20 years (and more if you want to count non-professional experiences). But C++ experiences especially in UE (programmand and debugging) is quite slow, the API is not straight forward - the documentation leave so much to desire. Once you are ‘there’ ie can be productive with C++, you also need to deal with compile times. Ok can be alleviated with powerful computer with SSD and stuff…

2. But BluePrint is so much easier… it seems like a kid toy to me, but powerful enough to create a games just with it. It is not ridiculous to create a game just by using Blueprint - as long as you can get it done, nobody cares. You can also do some strategy ie use blueprint macro etc to reduce blueprint clutter (or spaghetti).

3. You can use Skookum as it fits into the level where C# is… it is a script which doesnt need to compile, and looks easier to me. Well any script should be easier to use than C++.

Yeah, Skookum seems like a good scripting plugin for Unreal. Haven’t try it though but I will give it a try.

As for C# in UE4, I’m in. “Coding” with blueprint, although nice visually, can be quite confusing for me.

Good summary but you left out one of the more important parts: concurrency.

/about/look/

it may not look like much at first, but it essentially means you can stop thinking about doing stuff every tick. You know like (pseudo code):

Tick() {
  if (guy.not_there_yet) {
    guy.walk
  }
}

Instead you’d do:

guy._walk

which is a coroutine that can take some time to complete without you worrying about it.

is there something like linq in Skookum?

if c# comes to UE someday, I would probably replace the usage of visual scripting, not c++.

And then there will be complaints how there is no proper visual scripting:D

no, Visual Scripting should stay as another option, which I personally would choose c#…

ok just tried , and it sucks.

still in beta, no documentation. no getting started videos ( they have a few high level ones, nothing that will properly get you started )

once you install it, UE Editor keeps nagging about some skookum ide error.

i guess we are back to C++

Don’t think so, best ask here though: /page5&highlight=skookum

Well his “assessment” was a little unfair as you can imagine. he probably tried it for half an hour, stuff didn’t work and then he dropped it. It is in beta still but they are very actively working on it. If you encounter errors and post in their forums they respond fast and fix stuff promptly.

Just to be transparent here, I’m not affiliated in any way nor am I even using it at the moment. i did try it months ago and had mixed feelings, mostly because I lacked time to learn it more in depth. i’m also not unhappy with blueprints and C++ in the first place. I use both in conjunction and it’s awesome. But from someone who is unhappy with the lack of a scripting language I would expect to put in an actual effort to learn Skookum and not just bash it prematurely because some error popped up. How long do you think it would take for a C# equivalent to even get anywhere close to a usable state? There would be bugs and errors all the same.

Ok so i just tried it and it works just fine. Here’s a quick rundown if you wanna try:

Download plugin: http://download…com/beta/2391/SkookumScriptPlugin-2391-4.11.zip

Unzip to …\Unreal Engine 4\4.11\Engine\Plugins

Download demo project: http://download…com/beta/2391/SkookumDemoProject-2391-4.11.zip

Unzip and double click SkookumDemo.uproject. Some error did pop up the first time, click Retry in the dialog worked for me. Error gone in subsequent loads.

In UE4 go to Edit ->Editor Preferences > General > Miscellaneous and untick “Use less CPU when in background”.

Hit Play, Shift-F1 to get control of mouse cursor while leaving the game running.

Go to the open IDE Console. At the bottom there are a bunch of examples you can run. For example scroll to

sync

Pawn.named("RoboChar1")._path_to_actor(player_pawn)
  Pawn.named("RoboChar2")._path_to_actor(player_pawn)
  Pawn.named("RoboChar3")._path_to_actor(player_pawn)
  ]
player_pawn._boom

Select the whole text and hit F4 to execute it.

I spent a little more than half-hour. There isnot really a clear path on how to get started, you know step by step guide for programmers. I mean i dont blame them, they seem to be a small company ( 3 or 4 developers ) and there seem to be one guy on their that addresses issues related to their product. i am not dissing them, good for them. i hope they get big. i am just having a hard time trying their product.

but hey, you seem to know alot about “their” product, you know what is causing this error ?

2016-04-05_0-24-12.png

Nope, but like I mentioned hitting Retry worked for me. Not for you?

Would have to echo MoHoe here - is awesome. Both on paper and in practice. :slight_smile:

They are going to do allot with after it hits the marketplace.

t/tutorials-suggestion-step-by-step-tutorials-on-building-a-game-from-scratch-with–and-unreal/599/1

But do not take my word for it. If you want to learn they have plans for example games and tutorials. See above link if you do not believe me.

Just keep in mind that it is still in beta and their still might be bugs. Like most software :slight_smile:

However they hope to have the first version out by the next marketplace update.

“proper”:wink:

gets tremendous support from Epic Games and we have been working with Epic engineers on an almost daily basis for almost two years.

I even spoke to Sweeney near the start of this adventure a year ago about just to ensure that we weren’t stepping on any toes. He said that he thought it was awesome. He said his main beef with most “scripting” languages is that general purpose languages don’t give much more over C++ with the added complexity of multiple languages. Working on their own language - UnrealScript - took up a lot of time and energy and detracted from working on the Unreal Engine. He said that if the language was focused on games and the workflow of games that would be different and welcome.

This isn’t a specific endorsement by by any means - Epic has a very open model that allows lots of cool stuff to evolve. I’m sure they are interested to see how the whole integration will play out.

And Epic Games did give so that should indicate their confidence in the project.

Hey pyropace - as everyone else is saying, we are happy to help you out. If you have a problem with we want to know about it so we can help you and others through similar problems.
It looks like the compiled binaries are not being generated or they are being created in a directory that the Unreal Engine isn’t expecting. and UE4 are both complex beasts and setup is one of the trickiest parts. I’m sure we can help you through it with a little more digging.
I recommend that you jump in at and detail your problem.

With UE4.11 and code plugin support will soon be a proper addition on the Unreal Marketplace which will make initial installation much easier.

We are a small company currently with 3 engineers and other support staff though we are growing.

itself has evolved over 12 years so it has a lot of good stuff in it and hard-won knowledge on big teams.

C++ is awesome too and is designed to work in tandem with it. Some projects can rely on all the huge amount of amazing C++ already present in UE4 and other teams, plugins and add-ons might use lots of C++. It is your choice.

Though allows you to do a lot of things easier and even more efficiently at certain high level things than C++.

The main difference between it and a general purpose language like C# is that is made for games first and foremost. Unity3D uses C# which is why it is brought up so much though we spoke to some people at Unity and even they were interested in integrating once they remove their Mono integration. Likewise staff on the new Amazon Lumberyard engine said they are eager to integrate at all levels of their engine. (Not that we have plans for any engine other than UE4 at the moment.)

can do many things you can’t justify adding to a general purpose language - for example it knows about context from the Unreal World Editor. It is integrated deeply with blueprints - changes to blueprints affect the script files and changes to scripts affect blueprints. You can use blueprint variables just like native script variables.

The native concurrency constructs in the language are awesome as is the realtime workflow that offers.

The docs and tutorials are pretty light right now - we’re very aware of that. We’ve spent most of our recent energy making sure that the Plugin works deeply with UE4 and that our surrounding company will grow to meet the needs of the community around . It is coming very soon.

As of the Game Developers Conference in mid-March there are a number of AAA projects that are using and licensing for really amazing games including VR, MMOs, RTS games and open world games. As soon as they are announced we will be trumpeting about them. There are something like 200 projects using in over 50 different countries.

I don’t know anyone who used for a significant chunk of time who ever wanted to go back to the old ways.

Once you start playing and developing with - it is pretty cool.

wow pretty cool … ok i will post my error on your … hopefully you or one your team members can help.

Looking forward to get familiar with your product

Not on the this post topic, though yes - you can have queries similar to LINQ on lists using closures - it is pretty cool. There are plans to add more commands and it is really easy to add your own custom similar commands.

{3 4 5 8}.reject[item.pow2?]  // {3, 5}

BadGuy.instances.select[item.armed?]  // all bad guys with weapons

To discuss more please go to the …com or the UE4 Plugin thread.

As Noolarch said, I can’t pretend it didn’t take me some time to get used to due to the light documentation(there’s a curve like learning any new language with new concepts). But it really is a great tool. For a long time I considered adding my own scripting language into UE4, but SK filled the void better than what I would have produced by myself.

It’s also really nice to know it’s backed by a professional team, there’s lots of scripting plugins for UE4, but unless they’re well maintained over time they’re not very valuable, and SK is definitely the best maintained.